PDA

View Full Version : Civic set-up

Quickshoe
07-20-2002, 06:56 PM
The Formula Ford is not going to make it on the track this season. I can't stand being out of the seat this long so I am going to 'time trial' my daily driver. Help!!

The car is a 2000 Civic HX. It is stock! The tires are Kumho 716HP4 195/60-14. I would like to drive the wheels off it and see if I can keep up with the ITC cars.

Track: Laguna Seca

What tire pressure, camber, toe settings would you suggest? Keeping rear brakes stock would you suggest Hawk Blacks or Blues up front? With stock exhaust will a K&N help? Is the stock air intake system or the exhaust the airflow killer?

Thanks! Wish me luck and pray for rain! I've got a bet with a friend in an ITS Rx7, if their fast lap isn't 10+ seconds faster than mine they owe me dinner! And if it is, it should have been.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited July 20, 2002).]

TDRacing
07-21-2002, 02:31 AM
I would suggest Getting some stickier tires, that is going to be your weak link. If you cannot do that, get some full on race pads and fluid, and change the rotors the next day. Put a K&N panel filter in the car, and try to put some ABS piping leading to the box, for cold air. TRY to take everything out of the car that you can, A/C, front and passenger seats, carpets. Good luck, don't worry about those RX7s.

Quickshoe
07-21-2002, 06:34 PM
TDRacing,

Thanks for the response. I know stickier tires would be the biggest gain for the buck. This is a one event deal. I don't want to invest $500 in tires for one race, and a TT at that. I think, that in class, I have a decent chance of placing on street tires. I wasn't going to pull any of the interior out as I figured this might make the f/r weight % even worse. I plan on driving the practice sessions with the stereo on http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/cool.gif for goodness sake!

I have never had the "pleasure" of driving around the track on street tires. So an idea of tire pressure to start at would be great. 38-40hot ala v700's, 26-28hot ala r1's or 32 like pops' olds?

New rotors and hawk blues (no adj prop valve)...will that create too much front brake relative to stock rears? How about Hawk blacks?

K&N...okay I'll do that.

Obviously, I am not concerned about the Rx7's, they won't be in my class and should thoroughly kick my azz. I figure my comp. will come from a well driven 912 and a 200sx. Those 2 cars usually finish this 1-2 in class.

TDRacing
07-22-2002, 02:42 AM
I am not sure about the weight distribution, but maybe take out the passenger seat. I have those tires on my street wheels, they are pretty good. Not sure about the pressures, I run 30 back and 32 front. My dad used to run stock pads on the rear of his integra type R, dont worry. Not sure about the Hawk pads, never used them. Maybe you should make brake ducts?

il8apex
07-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Quickshoe-

Best thing I could offer is to get some balance on that thing. If you try to drive it hard the way it's set up now, you'll just push everywhere around the track. If the car is more balanced you'll have an easier drive and the tires will heat more evenly as well.

I would suggest a 21 or 22mm rear swaybar along with stiffer springs (The Type-R springs are everywhere for $50, can be installed in an afternoon, and offer great balance with the rear bar). It's not a track-only setup by any means, I use this as the street setup for my IT car!

-Tom

greg_umbay
07-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Is your time trial event over? I have some suggestions. Try some higher rear tires pressures (+4). The K&N will help if you remove most of the air intake resivoirs that up to the air box. Honda cars have highly restrictive air intakes.

Have you driven Laguna before?

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

Quickshoe
07-23-2002, 02:19 AM
I'll look into the bar and spring setup. Do the springs only come in one rate?

I have driven Laguna before. I only have about 15 hours in seat time there and none in a FWD or on street tires. I know that momentum is going to be paramount.

Two big plusses:

1) This is the first time I won't have to worry about sound.

2) I'll be driving around at Laguna Seca

ricracer113
07-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Put a big wing on the back of your front wheel drive car,it sure looks good on the street imports.

------------------