PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for cheap wheels

emwavey
05-13-2002, 03:25 PM
I've been trying to find some "inexpensive" wheels for solo 2 and track days. I've looked into Panasports, Diamond Racing Wheels (website wasn't working), and considered running stock 14s on my CRX. I also stumbled across this. Konig "2002 old school" wheels. Has anyone had any experience with these? Is this just a gimmick? The sizing and weight specs. seem to indicate that these could be used for racing. I'm curious to see what you guys think about this.

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_list.cf...fm?categoryid=1 (http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_list.cfm?categoryid=1)

Then click on the "2002 OLD SCHOOL" link.

Thanks,
Dave

Tyson
05-13-2002, 03:28 PM
id certainly be interested in knowing the offset of these.

plank
05-13-2002, 03:36 PM
I don't know what you mean by inexpensive, but I just bought some 14X6 Borbet wheels for my CRX from tire rack. They were 3 hundred and change (4) including shipping lugs, and center pieces. I am going to use them for rain tires. Look great, about 14lbs and have a 45MM offset.

R E Plank

emwavey
05-13-2002, 04:26 PM
In replying to my original question, specifically to the Konig "Old School" rims. I called Konig's number, on the website under contact information. The offset on the rims are 18mm. I talked to 2 different people and had to ask at least 2 times for the offset measurement. The first guy didn't inspire confidence since he put me on hold to ask someone else if they were OK for racing. Rather then play 3rd party info, I asked for someone else who could help. The second guy, Jim, only said that they were for the "old" nissans, and toyotas that are rear wheel drive. Only after I asked again did he cough up the info. Egad! Yucky customer service! Were they planning on making rims for front wheel drive cars? The only thing Jim could say is that the 17"ers are what most of the racers go with. What? Man talk about lack of understanding. I just gave up talking. Sorry I could get any more info, but I think the summary of the conversation(s) speak for themselves.

I guess I'll have to just wait for what I really want, Panasports.

Thanks for the information on the Borbet wheels. I had been looking at them too, but wanted something a little wider, if possible.

Thanks,
Dave

Knestis
05-13-2002, 05:28 PM
For info like this, I like www.discounttire.com (http://www.discounttire.com) for a starting place...

Click on "Wheels" and follow the instructions for your car and wheel diameter. You will get a ton of wheel model info, including offset dimension, and can sort by price...

www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) is pretty OK too. We ordered Konig Reign alloys to replace the steel wheels on my wife's Honda CRV. They are nicely turned out, affordable, and TUV certified, which I thing means something.

Kirk

Richy Gonzalez
05-13-2002, 05:31 PM
As the wheel search continues...

I've looked for 14 inch wheels too and this is what I've found. If you want 14x6, then your choices are pretty good. Actually, if you call your local Discount Tire, sometimes you can get konig 14x6 for $50 a wheel. If you want 14x7 then there are only 2 options, Borbet Type T (approx $120) and Panasports (approx $180).

The only other option are some old BMWs can with 14x6.5 mesh wheel 4x100 bolt patern. If you can find a salvage yard with them, then your are in luck.

...If someone knows of an alternative, please let the rest of us know.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
#21 ITA CRX (http://communities.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

plank
05-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Richy,

Thanks for the BWM lead. Do you remember which models? Lots of them in wrecking yards. Any idea on the offset? Hot ticket is 225/50 Hoosier but you have to be careful in fitting them. Brent Breon had a good discussion on that issue back on the topic will Borbet 14X7 fit under CRX. I think you might be able to put those on a 14X 6.5 wheel. Anyone else try that?

D Plank

Chris Sawatsky
05-13-2002, 06:16 PM
you mention that you're only going to use them for autoX and track days, not ITA racing. I use Rota circuit8 wheels on my ITA car, since I'm with the WCMA and our ruleset allows 15" wheels. They're a good offset for crx, 15x6.5, and 11.5# each. I've abused them a fair amount, with no damage.

Check out pics at http://locash.ca

Oh yeah, they go for about $400 shipped, but I recently picked up a used set with barely used yok 032R's for $500

racer-025
05-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
We ordered Konig Reign alloys to replace the steel wheels on my wife's Honda CRV. Kirk

Here it is folks, Kirk has finally fessed up to owning a Honda! If ya can't beat em, join em. Next he'll tell us that he actually has a CRX hiding in his garage. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

Richy Gonzalez
05-14-2002, 10:41 AM
D Plank,
I don't know the model but I'll find out. I have friend here in the Central Florida region that is running those BMW wheels. As soon as I talk to them, I'll let you know.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
#21 ITA CRX (http://communities.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

cbstd
05-14-2002, 12:03 PM
I have heard that the BMW wheels will work on a Honda, but the difference in offset makes me very suspicous.

Another alternative is to find a set of water cooled VW wheels. The bolt spacing is exactly the same and the backspace is nearly identical to Honda's. The pick and pull is always full of VW 14x6 wheels.

Scott

emwavey
05-14-2002, 01:05 PM
OK, now that I've looked around a bit more and checked out the Borbet T 14"x7" message (thanks, I missed that one), and I've also checked out the Diamond Racing website (which is working, yeah!). I have another question... does anyone run 13s, like a 13x7 or 13x8 in IT, I know in Solo 2 they run them on CRXs and I know they run 13s in IT7. As a guy who's just starting on this path of having a racing budget (ha, ha, ha), I was hoping to get a set of rims that would do double duty. I was considering the Diamond Racing's 13x7s. Any advise is most welcome.

Dave
NERD

Knestis
05-14-2002, 02:27 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...Next he'll tell us that he actually has a CRX hiding in his garage. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif</font>

Hey, I said my wife's CRV! You can be very sure that, if I hinted that it was even a little bit "mine", she would straighten me right the heck out...

She lets me drive it sometimes.

K

nlevine
05-14-2002, 05:29 PM
I run a 1st gen CRX Si - which means I can run 13x7s in ITA. I get my wheels from Circle Racing (http://www.circleracing.com). They're not cheap (around $180-ish), but they're light, spun aluminum. They'll make any size/backspacing you want.

VW wheels work bolt-pattern and offset wise, but they have a different center bore, so they'd end up lug-centric on the car, not hub-centric.

The 14x6.5 BMW wheels sound like they're off an old E-30-body 325is (all E-30 wheels except M3 and 325ix are 4x100 bolt pattern). They'd bolt up, but I think they wouldn't have nearly enough offset for a front drive car (wouldn't they stick out from the fenders?) and could put undue stress on bearings and other front-end parts, but would provide additional track width...

-noam

il8apex
05-16-2002, 11:26 AM
emwavey-

I, too, tried to go the 13" route. Figured it was cheaper than a Houseman final drive...

If you read the ITCS very carefully, it says that wheel diameter is restricted to OE fitment. This reads as an absolute size, not a maximum size. Width is open to 7", but the diameter should remain the same.

I tried and tried, and decided to go with Diamonds. Then numerous veterans talked me out of it, and now I've ordered Panasports. It seems they've got the market cornered...

-Tom

tderonne
05-16-2002, 11:48 AM
All you need to read is the spec line. It trumps the ITCS. If it isn't right, it's time for a letter. Been there, done that.

Originally posted by il8apex:

If you read the ITCS very carefully, it says that wheel diameter is restricted to OE fitment. This reads as an absolute size, not a maximum size. Width is open to 7", but the diameter should remain the same.-Tom[/B]

Greg Gauper
05-16-2002, 02:13 PM
I don't have my spec book handy, but I thought 1st Generation Si's could use 13" or 14" since they changed the diameter of the wheels in 1986???

il8apex
05-17-2002, 09:49 AM
I didn't read the spec line for your car. I had assumed (you know what happens then!) that since the thread spoke about 14's then you were limited to 14's.

So, what does the spec line say?

-T

racer-025
05-17-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Greg Gauper:
I don't have my spec book handy, but I thought 1st Generation Si's could use 13" or 14" since they changed the diameter of the wheels in 1986???

Sorry Dude, all Si's came with 14" wheels. Period. Non-PGM-Fi all came with 13" wheels (ITC). Nice try though.

Greg Gauper
05-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Sorry dude, but I believe the first year of the '85 Si came with 13" wheels. These were four spoke aluminum wheels that were the only factory i.e. not dealer installed aluminum wheels available. I believe that in the 1987 season, several SSC drivers (P.D. Cunningham comes to mind) tried to use these 'stock' CRX rims on their SSC 86 Civic Si's (which only came with steel 13" rims) in order to get better brake cooling. Half way thru the season, this practice was declared illegal in a Fasttrack update. Only the '85 CRX Si had 13" Wheels. They are very rare.

nlevine
05-17-2002, 02:50 PM
The ITCS line for the '85 - '87 CRX Si says that 13" or 14" is OK, and it's easier to get a 13x7 to fit than a 14x7 on the 1st gens (plus the gearing change doesn't hurt). I believe it would also be covered under the update/backdate allowance - '85 - '87 had the same body and engine... The 2nd generation Si can only use 14" for ITA.

Dave - what year CRX are you driving?

-noam

racer-025
05-18-2002, 10:03 PM
I stand corrected. Here in Canada, the only 1st gen CRX Si's to show up were the 86 and 87 models all with 14" wheels. You folks in the US apparently had an earlier model.

Greg Gauper
05-20-2002, 08:59 AM
I had to confirm it by looking thru two shop manuals. The '85 was the only year for 13" rims. These are the only 13" aluminum wheels the factory ever made and so they are very rare. Page 32 of the ITCS lists 13" and 14" rims.

Suprisingly, all 1st generation Civic Si's came with 13" steel wheels only. Too bad they didn't raid the parts bin when they were building them.

SCCARon
06-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Another option that I haven't seen metioned is Volk TE-37s. I think they are available in a 14X6.5 and are very light. They look pretty racy too. I think they are about 250-300 a wheel.

------------------
Ron Artinger

jc836
06-16-2002, 10:31 PM
TE-37's are available in your choice of white or bronze (current offering in USA) at Ultra Performance for about $250/per + shipping. They are very light and will work well in a 14". I asked about them in silver and they can be had.
The other alternatives are also very good and there is the Rage Enduro 2 14 pounds to add to the mix.

------------------

emwavey
07-10-2002, 04:24 PM
nlevine,... I'm driving a 90 Si. So it looks like 14's are good for IT and it looks like I can use 13, 14, or 15s in the CSP class for autocrossing.

Thanks for everyone's input!

-dave