PDA

View Full Version : Gutting a 2G CRX Si

SCCARon
07-03-2002, 10:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about how much weight I can expect to gut out of a 2G CRX Si? I would appreciate even more if someone could give me and idea of how much some of the stuff I can take out weighs (ie. AC, seats, etc.) Thanks in Advance.

------------------
Ron Artinger

Mike Dunn
07-04-2002, 12:17 AM
Which car are you building? A civic hatchback or a CRX? And what class? How have you been?

SCCARon
07-04-2002, 10:49 AM
I am buying a Civic Si Hatchback (ITA). I dicided to ask about a CRX because nobody seemed to know about the Civic. There are a ton of CRXs so I though I might get an answer or two on this. I would think I could get about the same amount of weight out of the Civic as a CRX, maybe slightly more. I will have it by the end of the summer I am just waiting for the owner to go by a new car. Otherwise, I am doing good. I have just been away from racing for too long. I have a real job now I can finally afford a racecar (if that can ever truely be said). Anyway, I will be running the WRX at the Chin School in August. Maybe I will see you there.

Ron

jc836
07-04-2002, 12:40 PM
MY experience--just finished doing my 89 CRX Si. The amount of weight will be determined by how far you want/need to go with the project. My entire interior is out of the car except for the full dash and heater assembly as required for IT. We will be reinstalling the stock (modified) door panels as bending 1/16" aluminum is not a lot of fun.
Now to your question-the AC unit weight came to over 40 pounds for everything (except the heatercore/box and blower). The sound deadener on the floor weighed about 20 pounds. I have no idea about the undercoating yet. The stock seats, interior panels, seat belts,carpet,etc. weigh over 100 pounds. The rules are pretty clear about what more can come out-I have yet to take the driver door apart and remove the glass as my bars do not intrude just interfere with door closure when the skins are on. Thus the rule permitting cutting of the panels applies.
The down side to this is that you will be putting a lot of that weight back in in the form of a rollcage. Mine is an 8-point Kirk with "NASCAR" bars and it weighs 135 pounds unassembled.
You can gain a bit more weight saving by not having the spare tire in the car. I will assume that you plan to take the console, radio, speakers, and other accessories out and save at leat 10 more pounds on them. I removed the wiring harness covers and replaced them with the split tubing that weighs nearly nothing and gives full coverage to the harness going to the rear. Another thought-how about that pesky hood latch assembly-you are allowed to remove all of it and replace with real hood pin assemblies (I did). The stock air cleaner assembly is also a free item and can be replaced with a short ram intake-just cover hole in the apron. Did I mention that you can change the exhaust-header and all<G>.

That pretty much is the limit as far as I have been able to determine for our ITA cars.
Remember that the final weight according the the ITCS is 2140 for an 88-91 CRX Si.

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited July 04, 2002).]

SCCARon
07-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Is it legal to gut the hood? Take all the skeleton off of it and just leave the skin? I could not find anything about this in the ITCS or GCR. Also, min weight is with the driver correct? Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.

Ron

jc836
07-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Ron: The answer is NO to removing the structure of the hood. However there is a better thing to do (IMO)-take the entire sunroof unit, wiring and skin and get it out of the car. You ARE allowed to replace the skin panel with a genuine Honda part. The modification requires some serious=expert cutting and welding and the parts are available from the dealer for this. The basic roof structure under the panel must stay.
MY Si has had this done and it is a lot better than just welding the thing shut. For a Civic the process would be similar if you have a sunroof. There are a number of other panels on the car and it is best to check with Sven Pruett about taking them off.

------------------

Tyson
07-04-2002, 03:45 PM
FYI sunroof assembly and panel is 28lbs. Just took mine out, and had to put it back in as i realized i dont have time to plug that gaping hole... damn procrastination.

actually i think i did my math wrong, its probably 38 lbs! gotta double check when i removie it again.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited July 04, 2002).]

Steven Gould
07-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Minimum weight on the Civic HB is 2170. I would recomend building the CRX instead. I will be converting my 89 Civic Si into a CRX this winter. The car isn't competive with the fully developed CRX's. The weight, smaller brakes and aerodynamics being the main issues.

------------------

Mike Dunn
07-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Hey Ron!! I agree with Steven. Unless you have totally made up your mind that the civic is what you want. If you want to build it just to race, then do it. But I know you, you are like all of us (the CFR boys) you will want to win after your first few races. The CRX is the way to go, hands down. Come over when you get a chance and look at mine again to refresh your memory on gutting it out and look at what I did to my sunroof. It is the best one yet that I have seen. Great to have you back racin' again. At least you wont have to deal with Me and Wilding, just Reynolds now (and that is ALOT)

Seeya,
--Mike

SCCARon
07-05-2002, 09:25 PM
The reason I am going with the Civic is that I know the one I am going to buy is a good car. It has been well maintained, never been wrecked, and I am not going to pay out the nose for it. The way I see it is the Civic only has to weigh about 40lbs more and the wheelbase is 8in longer which should help with cornering stability. Plus all of the stuff from the Civic can go into a CRX if I need it to one day. It will be my first car and I know I have a lot to learn but you are right Mike I do want to be competitive right out of the box or soon after. Does anyone know of a cheap CRX close by(CFL region) that is in good shape? I don't want a racecar because I want to build it myself and I may drive it on the street for a few months.

I guess John and you are moving up a class? I will definately take you up on the offer to check out your car. Send me your email. I am at [email protected].

Thanks,

Ron

Richy Gonzalez
07-08-2002, 09:58 AM
I guess John and you are moving up a class?

Moving up? or Moving out? ... I would have to image that they are takin pitty on the rest of us getting into ITA http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
#21 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

Mike Dunn
07-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Who knows? I like Junkins car now. We might have to show up once in a while just to keep you Boys in line. Todd is pretty damn tough to beat now-a-days, BUT, it would be pretty cool having a Miata sandwich with about 3-5 CRX's. Right Todd, just like old times.

Richie-I dont think that we are moving up, just trying something different. I am enjoying the kick butt ride with Seck in the Integra so the Miata will just give me more competition with the heavy hitters. C-ya!!

lb2
07-08-2002, 05:53 PM
I WISH I STILL HAVE MY CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST TO SHOW THE FLORIDA BOYS HOW TO .........................

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
LOUIS B.

Mike Dunn
07-08-2002, 11:46 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! I thought that you were a Florida Boy now? When are you moving here and what car do you have now? I know where you can buy a really nice and fast CRX!!! Hint, hint.

lb2
07-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Oh yes I forgot that I am a Florida guy now, I have moved to Melbourne 2 weeks ago, I will run the double Daytona event next month, Miata is amost ready finishing the head this week, no more CRX the car to have is Integra in ITA.
Trust me I still want to go back to ITA and I am building the SM but I am not that excited about it, I will sell it if you know any one who wants one and I will go back to ITA as soon as I sell it.
Call me at the store 321- 242 7074 or 1-888 346 7266 I have a store in Melbourne now.
Louis B.