PDA

View Full Version : Building the ITA CRX Si, Phase I has become a pile of parts.

ITR#231
06-17-2002, 03:48 AM
As many of you know, I started with a street stock 88 CRX Si over a month ago, and I was asking for feedback on the minimum things I should look into doing in order to put a safe, reliable car out on track (speed comes later). After receiving many suggestions (some good, some bizarre), I have fallen well behind my arbitrary schedule due to school and I am once again asking for input to make sure there isn't anything I'm forgetting. Exams are over in two weeks (for those of you keeping track, yes, it was moved back three weeks ) and I want to have all the parts here waiting for me when I have time to work on the car.
So far, the car has (already installed, ready to be installed, or I'm already planning to order):

-Interior stripped to IT rules
-FIA Sparco seat
-6pt Sparco harness
-OMP steering wheel
-GC coilovers/Eibach springs/Koni Yellows
-OEM Si wheels/Kumhos, Panasports/Kumhos
-Kirk 6pt cage (built to IT specs), padded
-fire bottle
-OPM hardened hubs/extended wheel studs
-OPM radius rod bearings
-Mugen trailing arm bushings
-ES shifter bushings
-OMP pedals
-remote oil filter/remote oil cooler/accusump
-Carbotech XP front pads, backup Performance Friciton front pads, new OEM rear shoes.
-oil temp, oil pressure, water temp gauges
-ATE super blue
-3" brake ducting to front rotors
-cut OEM exhaust after resonator with 45 degree downpipe, gutted cat, "simplified" OEM air box.
-Brand new -> Brembro blank rotors, radiator, upper/lower rad hoses, rad cap, water pump, timing belt, misc. gaskets, wheel bearings, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, cam seals, CV boots.
-Things I already know I need -> window net, kill switch, rear view mirror, metal sunroof cover and ps door panel

-This I think I might pick up even though it's not broken yet, and I want input from you guys -> New OEM thermostat, SS brake lines

I have also done: valve adjustment, water/water wetter flush, oil change, trans oil change.

Some things I have on my parts list are the result of necessary replacements to broken or worn parts that came with the car. Other parts were replaced/upgraded simply because everything else in that "area" was being replaced so I might as well do it.

For the sake of argument, you can also assume that everything else is in working order if I didn't mention it, but don't assume I've replaced/refreshed it if I didn't specifically mention it.

I think/hope I mentioned everything. If not, I'll post it as it comes up. For now, I want some input from you guys about stuff that should be on this list. I'm not concerned with performance parts right now (intake, header, engine work, ECU upgrade, etc.), just a safe "reliable" car that finishes races. Speed will come later. Thanks!!

USGUYS
06-17-2002, 11:49 PM
E-mail dan beeson and have him design a graphics package.

danielbeeson
06-18-2002, 12:41 PM
"USGUYS; E-mail dan beeson and have him design a graphics package."
Thanks for the plug...

ITR#231; I am more than delighted to do a graphics package for you...
Please contact me: [email protected]

Look for a few cars that I have done: Baucom Motorsports, Trans-Am Series Jaruar, Planet Earth Motorsports, Grand-Am Cup Integra's, and coming soon, My own design
for Honda Challenge, Adam Curpier's Type R for Honda Challenge and John Whitaker's Civic HB for Honda Challenge... And the list keeps on going...

Thanks for the support,
Dan Beeson
www.beesondesigns.com/beta (http://www.beesondesigns.com/beta)

Ausmith
06-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Dan also has experience with the CRX...

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/46/A7/9560134-286a-024000BF-.jpg

danielbeeson
06-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Ausmith, I have been trying to get a hold of you for awhile...
The e-mail that I have for you must be corrupt or jinxed...

Just wondering if the graphics I provided are done and on the car?
Are you still going to use vinyl? I can now provide vinyl, so let me know
if you still need to get it done.

Thanks to everyone for believing that I can provide cutting edge
graphics on a low budget and look better than someone who has
thousands wrap up into a "Sam Bassİ" paint scheme... Nothing against
Sam Bassİ, he is my idol...

Dan Beeson
www.beesondesigns.com/beta (http://www.beesondesigns.com/beta)

ITR#231
06-21-2002, 04:16 AM
LOL! The most dedicated racecar driving forum I know of, with less 'bling' than any other forum I post on, and all you can talk about is stickers...

Of course I'm kidding, since I will actually need at least the minimum requirements for competition (SCCA, NASA, class, car number, etc.). To be honest, this was a good reminder because it's completely necessary and I forgot about it.

danielbeeson,

Can you provide some online pics of cars you have done? I would also be interested to hear about the various options you provide and what price range we're talking about. Feel free to post the information here or e-mail me directly at [email protected] of you prefer. I would really appreciate some info. Thanks!

With that out of the way, can anyone else think of common failures in this car that should be replaced/upgraded before they are broken? It has been suggested to me to replace the MC with a new OEM unit. I have also been considering a new thermostat since my cooling system is already in pieces and they're super cheap. Finally, what does everyone think about SS brake lines vs. 160K miles on the OEM lines. I'll have the calipers off to rebuild them, so the labor is nil. Thanks for any input!

jc836
06-21-2002, 06:05 AM
The Stainless steel brake lines are an excellent investment. Have them on the Prelude, Civic and CRX. You will feel the difference in the pedal versus the stock rubber lines. I'm using Goodridge and they have 2 versions for the CRX (disc front/drum rear and disc front/rear). Personal experience says that this is one of the best things you can do for the money whether the car is new or high mileage.

------------------

Ausmith
06-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Dan....

[email protected]

We've got a sign shop at work that I think can do the vinyl. Right now I have some mechanical things to take care of before I get into the graphics. I still have not received funding from the sponsor, however he is going to drive the car at a lapping day on Monday. Hopefully that will be enough motivation for him to write me a big fat check...

ITR#231 -Where are you located?

ITR#231
06-22-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Ausmith:

ITR#231 -Where are you located?

I'm in AZ.

Knestis
06-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Dan can also render your own design, like he did for me on the IT2 page...

Kirk

www.2litre.itgo.com (http://www.2litre.itgo.com)

danielbeeson
06-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Kirk... Is this what you are talking about?
The design is changing slightly, I will reveal the real thing very soon...

Dan Beeson
[email protected]

http://www.beesondesigns.com/civicsedan.gif

Knestis
06-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Actually, I meant this one...

http://www.2litre.itgo.com/kirkcivic.jpg

Kirk

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited June 24, 2002).]

Ausmith
07-03-2002, 03:11 PM
TRANSPONDER!

ITR#231
07-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Ausmith:
TRANSPONDER!

Yea, I actually forgot that one on purpose. My local NASA region does a rent-to-own deal on transponders that ends up being the same price as buying one at the first event (it's more of a payment plan really). If I understand correctly, it's the same transponder used by all three organizations in my area.