PDA

View Full Version : Which way does it go?

Scott Nutter
06-25-2002, 09:57 PM
I am trying to change the timing belt on an 87 CRX si, but I can not get the crank shaft pulley bolt off. I know that (I think that) the motor turns counter clockwise, does this mean that the bolt is right hand threaded? I have an impact wrench rated at 345 ft Lbs, but she ain't moving. If someone could please let me know which way I need to be cranking on it, I would appreciate it

Tyson
06-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Its a normal bolt, and yes the engien does reciprocate the "wrong" way so no starting the engine to torque it. just use a big breaker bar with a long pipe and lock up the pulley somehow. i've seen it locked up by useing a chain type strap wrench, theres also a specific tool that will lock into the pulley , also you can use on of the holes on the pulley and the edge of the socket and a suspension arm as three points to lock it using something like another ratchet. cant explain it any better than that. its tough. most impact guns cant do it.

Scott Nutter
06-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks, we had just gotten the breaker bar and a pipe extension but had a debate as to which way it should go, so we walked away. We'll get it done tonight for sure.

Racers10
06-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Scott, the pulley is somewhat fragile. I have broken a couple by using a drift through the pulley, against the blocek lip to try and hold the pulley. I have taken to using a Carftsman strap wrench, if you don't have luck holding the pulley with a drift, get some sort of strap wrench. I usually put the car in 1rst gear and have some-ne step on the brake as a further assist to the strap wrench. Good luck!!

brownaimer
06-26-2002, 03:34 PM
The engine turns counter-clock and the bolt is right hand threaded. Honda makes a special tool that fits the crank pulley, '85 thru '87 is different from '88 on. It has a couple of nubs that fit in the holes in the pulley and a hole in the middle for your wrench. We made one fairly easily as I don't know what the one from Honda costs.

Scott Nutter
06-27-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone, got the car back together tonight, after I made my very own special honda tool out of a 4"x.25"x3' piece of steel. Torched a hole in the center of one end and drilled holes for four 5/16" bolts in the pattern to fit the holes on the pulley and wala!

racer-025
07-01-2002, 10:33 PM
I may have jumped in here a little too late, but we have encountered this problem many times in the past. We have used a solid steel rod thru the holes in the pully and put a 3/4" dribe breaker bar on the bolt. Select the largest hammer in the shop and give her a BIG smack on the breaker bar. 2 or 3 hits, and she breaks loose. Remember to use some proper thread locker on the bolt when it is reinstalled. And torque to spec. This bolt, as well as the axle nuts are two problem bolts/nuts that seem to get over torqued in some shops.

Dom Pirinchinci
07-02-2002, 02:02 AM
You guys are all way too technical- making tools and stuff. This is how we shady shade tree mechanics do it:

Rotate the engine to about 20 degrees before #1 TDC firing. Wait until your wife goes grocery shopping. Take her bloomers off the clothesline, and abscond with said clothesline to the garage. You may wear the bloomers if you wish, but that's your business. Jam a whole pile of that clothesline down the spark plug hole. Rotate engine until it jams. Apply large piece of pipe to your breaker bar. Remove pesky crank bolt. Enjoy celebratory beverage. Maybe two, depending on how far away the grocery store is. Return clothesline to its rightful home. Make sure it's not too greasy (same goes for the bloomers, depending on where they were during this project). Don't attempt this with plastic/wire clothesline (obviously).

Yeah, it's ghetto, and your shop teacher would frown at you if he could see you doing it, but it works like crazy. Don't do it at TDC exhaust or you'll do all sorts of bad, expensive things to your valves.

[This message has been edited by Dom Pirinchinci (edited July 02, 2002).]

Tyson
07-02-2002, 02:33 AM
whoah, thats got to be the craziest method i've heard.

overtorque axle nuts? its 130ft-lbs! i dont think you could over torque those...

joeg
07-02-2002, 09:25 AM
This actually works...the old rope in the combustion chamber trick.

Saw this in a Circle Track Magazine "Tips&Tricks" section once(or something like it), although it was being used to change valve springs or valve seals "in the field". It didn't mention wearing the wife's bloomers, however.

racer-025
07-02-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Tyson:
overtorque axle nuts? its 130ft-lbs! i dont think you could over torque those...

What to make a bet? Try 230lbs with those heavy duty guns. I've had to burn the damn nut off before with the torch!