PDA

View Full Version : I need the Jenny Craig CRX diet

Tyson
05-28-2002, 12:36 AM
My car is fat, weighed in at around 2400 on a full tank of gas, I only contribute 171 of it... Min is 2140 for Si. I've not done much to weight reduction, just take out the rear plastic stuff, and passenger seat to carry another set of tires to the track. Still got stock sunroof, carpet up front and havent touched anything on the dash. Theres a lot of underbody gunk, but thats a pain to deal with, but i do have over a decades worth of grime as well in the fender wells, thats easiy scratched off but not sprayable without loads of brake cleaner.

So howd you guys do it. How do I even get close to min weight? Please gimme more ideas. Ill take the legal and the "legal until you get caught" ideas too...

ITR#231
05-28-2002, 03:44 AM
By stock sunroof, do you mean you have both the metal panel and the entire rail system still stuck to the roof? That's very heavy, and adds weight to the top which hurts your COG. Do you still have the AC system in there? If you don't want to remove the whole thing, at least take out the compressor and condenser. They weight the most (and they weigh a LOT). Don't bother with the tar stuff for weight reduction. Mine was only 15 #. What tires/wheels are you running? That can make a difference. Those are just a couple of ideas, and they're all legal.

ITR#231
05-28-2002, 03:48 AM
I just checked on something for you. When I sold my AC system, the total weight was 52#. I'm about to ship my OEM sunroof panel/rails/motor, so I can get you an exact weight on that in a day or so. I'm guessing close to 20#.

Tyson
05-28-2002, 03:21 PM
yeah took out AC completely, even the evaporator was replaced for stock ducting. yeah, havent removed anything from the roof. what do you mean by tar? the molded insulation that ppl complain about chipping off (but not you of course)? 15lbs is more than i expected, seems worth it.

ITR#231
05-28-2002, 05:04 PM
By tar, I mean that stuff under the carpet in the main cabin. I saved all of the chipps (and it was FUN to remove it, LOL! No complaints here...UGH!) so that I could weigh it, and it came out to be 12#. If you add the rubber sheets behind the dash, it's another 3# or so. Still, it's weight that is low on the car, so it wouldn't be the first thing I took out compared to the whole sunroof mechanism. Also, ditch the exhaust. If you're on a huge budget, just cut the OEM exhaust after the resonator and connect a 45 degree downpipe/tip. That rear section of the exhaust is heavy!

ITR#231
05-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Here's your update. I just got the sunroof panel, rail/slider mechanism, and motor on the scale for a grand total of 25 lbs! Not only is that heavy, but it's also at the highest point of your car. Since the metal panel alone was 8 lbs (with structural reinforcement), I can't imagine a welded replacement panel being more than 4-5 lbs within the rules of install.

-TJ
06-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Consider have a carbon fiber panel fabricated, or even fiberglass to fit in the hole - Larry Widmer of ENDYN made one for his Civic Si.

Is that legal? I don't know jack about the rules, but I'd like to learn...

Tyson
06-05-2002, 02:36 PM
rules say the panel must be replaced with the same material. youd do well in here to pick up at least a previous years GCR and be familiar with it.

jc836
06-05-2002, 04:35 PM
The GCR permits you to do one of several things with the sunroof. You can strap it shut; cover the hole with a steel panel after removing the sunroof assembly-or-do as I did (last lines of the rule) completely cut the roof skin off and replace it with a new panel from a DX. YES, they are available from Honda for $304 list price plus install. This also permits you to fully remove ALL of the wiring for the sunroof controls. The car will look like a DX when you are done and meet the rules. BTW: for those that do not know-the rear washer squirter has to be retained along with the tubing (I didn't say it has to work-just be able to <BG>).
MY car has all of the sound deadener removed from the floor and as much from firewall under the dash as I could get out. The AC unit is comppletely out and indeed weighs a bunch. BTW-find an HF and get the 2 plugs for the holes in the firewall as the grommets come out along with the drain hose and wiring harness. All of this stuff has considerable weight. I will agree with the numbers posted. Once the interior is gone you will regain weight with the roll cage and other goodies. My passenger seat is out and the driver seat is a Sparco REV. The weight penalty of conversion comes from the fact that safety equipment does add new weight. I'll post the completd car weight soon. Won't be surprised if it is at or over 2140 as the stock doors are still there and the cage is 1.75"x.120DOM tubing in an 8-point setup.
Enjoy the project

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited June 05, 2002).]

-TJ
06-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Tyson:
rules say the panel must be replaced with the same material. youd do well in here to pick up at least a previous years GCR and be familiar with it.

Anyone care to donate one? I'd really be interested in the reading - at least to find out how far from legal my cars are (I've never gone racing, but I'm a huge fan!).