PDA

View Full Version : Building a CRX Si for ITA

NDukes
06-02-2002, 10:47 AM
I am thinking of building a CRX Si for ITA. How much weight can I get out of this car? Does anyone know how much it weighs stock?

Thx - Nick Dukes

jasonb
06-02-2002, 11:01 PM
I take it you are talking about the second generation CRX Si. The 88 weighs in at 2017lbs, the 89 is 2138 and the 90-91's are both 2174lbs. The GCR states that the car must be a minimum if 2140lbs.

ITR#231
06-03-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by jasonb:
The GCR states that the car must be a minimum if 2140lbs.

And 2140 can be hard to reach sometimes if you max your weight reduction options. I have an 88, which means I have to ADD weight to make minimum weight. That's not too hard, considering that my cage added 150#, and other things like oil cooler, harness, etc. all add weight. However, stripping the car and removing the AC was a lot of weight out. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up needing a balast.

jc836
06-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Taking all of the interior out will reduce the weight a lot. Even the spare tire and jack have a significant value. In gutting my 89Si I also removed the entire sunroof assembly and welded a new skin panel in place of the one that comes with the unit-there is no gain as to this part.
Taking out all of the sound deadener and insulation was a real pain and gained about 20 pounds total. The seats, belts, and other items such as the radion add up quickly too.
I have not been on the scales yet as the car is now having a full roll cage (1.75" x .120 wall DOM) installed along with a Sparco Rev and full Simpson harness. Will I gain most of the weight back this way-I have no idea yet. I suspect that once the car is fitted out for racing it will come in very close to 2140 without ballast just by using the heavier cage (8 point).

uscrew96
06-03-2002, 08:22 PM
All depens how rusted the shell is to. We had to add about 75lbs of balast because the shell was rusted. On one of our old cars.

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING

Tyson
06-03-2002, 08:43 PM
thats an interesting weight reduction tactic... a little acid here and some salty water - viola, 5 lbs!

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited June 03, 2002).]

USGUYS
06-04-2002, 02:43 AM
USCREW96- DON'T BE TELLING ALL OUR SPEED SECRETS!! LOL.
The cars can get to minimum weight with taking advantage oF any of the legal mods that might allow some weight reduction. We had one car that the passenger seat and a spare tire were necessary to make weight. They were about 75#. Our current car did not neEd them, but we have alot more tubes in the cage and there is a fuel cell with supporting brackets. If you take weight out put any back wear it will help the car's handling.

Jon Nelson
06-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Tyson;

I'd be happy to trade a "lightened" '88 CRX shell straight across for your "unlightened" one.

Canadian winters are the ideal environment for this process. Makes sound deadening easy to remove too.....

But seriously, why are the 88's SO much lighter? Bumpers? Doors? Helium in the tires?

J

B Breon
06-04-2002, 03:30 PM
88's are lighter everywhere. They have body mounted seat belts instead of door mounted. They don't have all the body reinforcement pieces that were added as the years went on. They have lighter bumpers. Early 88's had stamped crankshaft pulleys, etc.

Chris Sawatsky
06-04-2002, 06:11 PM
lack of door beams in 88's too

tderonne
06-05-2002, 02:02 PM
I thought all cars had side impact beams since 1968. Were the '88 beams just smaller? Or did Honda manage to pass the side impact tests without them? Or find a loophole?

No matter, sounds like '88 doors are the way to go, eh?

Originally posted by Chris Sawatsky:
lack of door beams in 88's too

ITR#231
06-05-2002, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure about the 89s, but the 88 doors also don't have any seat belt mechanism attached to them. It's nice not to have the side impact beams, since you're not allowed to remove them even though you duplicate them with the cage door bars. It's just redundant weight.

Tyson
06-05-2002, 08:25 PM
88 doors dont match up to 89-91 frames perfectly. from what im told they look really odd because they just dont fit right. i thought of using 88 dors on my 90 and that was the response i got.

but what do you guys think about interpreting the rules, does the updating/backdating rule supercede the dont touch the stock impact beams or vice versa? meaning, can 88+ cars remove the beams in following the backdating rule.

also, is the 88 crank pulley being stamped means its lighter and different? hey jason, maybe this is your answer!

racer-025
06-05-2002, 11:09 PM
FYI

Doors on the 88-91 CRX models here in Canada, all are the same as the 88 models (no door seat belt attachments) except for the door side beams. This means that a Canadian '91 CRX door will fit exactly the same as the US '88 models.

ITR#231
06-06-2002, 03:57 AM
but what do you guys think about interpreting the rules, does the updating/backdating rule supercede the dont touch the stock impact beams or vice versa? meaning, can 88+ cars remove the beams in following the backdating rule. [/B]

I would say no. The updating/backdating rule specifically states you would need to swap the "entire assembly" for it to be legal. Add that to the line that specifically prohibits the removal of the beam and I think you're stuck with a door swap or nothing at all.

*edit* How heavy is that thing? Is it substantial? I've never seen one.

[This message has been edited by ITR#231 (edited June 06, 2002).]

Tyson
06-06-2002, 04:18 AM
good point, worth a thought tho.

what do you mean you havent seen it, isnt your car gutted? look at the door and rear fender.

canada? isnt it cold up there?

ITR#231
06-06-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Tyson:

what do you mean you havent seen it, isnt your car gutted? look at the door and rear fender.

Mine's an 88.

racer-025
06-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Tyson:
canada? isnt it cold up there?

Cold is a relative term eh! If your tires are running at 105 degs, that's cold. If your beer mug is frosted, that's cold. If your engine is running at 185 degs, that's cold. If your pit dollys are wearing boots, that's cold. Here currently, it is 75 degs, but to a Texan, that's cold. And, yeah most of our 2nd gen CRX's didn't come with AC, so that must be cold too.

However, our race season here in Atlantic Canada, goes from late May to early October, and we enjoy decent weather throughout without that blistering +100 deg stuff, and/or those Hurricanes, Tornados, earthquakes, or mud slides. This is why a lot of Americans are buying up land like crazy around here.

Only problem here is that we could use more racers.