PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Setup

il8apex
05-23-2002, 09:34 AM
I see a lot of people out there inquiring about making power, but very few actually asking questions about suspension setup. Many people on the board will tell a newbie asking questions that suspension is where it's at, but no one seems to talk about it freely.

Does everyone just call up OPM and slap on whatever comes in the mail, or are you just being secretive?

-Tom

Tom Blaney
05-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Getting parts from OPM is good because they have knowledge and experience in Honda, but suspension setup needs to be tailored to your driving style. Since I don't believe in secrets, I set the from to 0 toe, 1 degree of front camber and 0 toe and 2.5+ degree of rear camber. This makes the car very comfortable for an experience driver, but very twitchy for a newbee. Set the front camber as above, and play with rear camber as you get faster and more comfortable.

Richy Gonzalez
05-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Tom Blaney,
I set the from to 0 toe, 1 degree of front camber and 0 toe and 2.5+ degree of rear camber

Are you running a CRX? How do you get that much camber out of the rear? Also, is your post correct and not "1 degree in the rear and 2.5 in front". Just curious. I personally haven't check any of my settings yet. Yes I know bad me but I've ran the car at 3 different tracks and it feels good so I've been concentrating on other areas of the car.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
#21 ITA CRX (http://communities.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

Tom Blaney
05-23-2002, 12:17 PM
The settings are correct as stated. Some of the guys have been cheating by shortening the rear upper control arms. I opted to have a machineist friend make offset bushing that will get the offset. This setup makes the car very neutral, and although the 89-91 is not prone to understeer, it keeps it that way. The front suspension design makes it difficult to get a lot of front camber, so I did the best I could.

il8apex
05-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input, Tom!

What about dampers? Is everyone out there running Konis that have been shortened and revalved, or are there others?

I'm currently working on a shock conversion to take advantage of the user rebuidable and user revalvable shocks that are common in the circle track market. I guess I just needed something else to do in my spare time... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

-T

Richy Gonzalez
05-24-2002, 12:16 AM
I too appreciate the info Tom.

il8pex,
I'm running single adj street Konis. I selected them because I can get them shorten and revalved later. In the mean time, I just have to run the car a little higher than I want but it at least gets me out on track. You may also want to look into Carrera shock. I know OPM sells the mounting adapters for them.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
#21 ITA CRX (http://communities.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

DUNCAN
05-24-2002, 03:00 PM
Tom,

I run a 90 CRX in Cendiv. My test track is IRP, which leaves much to be desired for set up scenarios. I run 2.5 degrees of camber in the front and 1.5 to 1.75 in rears. The rears are unmodified. I do not know if they come stock that way or not. The front camber is adjusted with eccentric bushings on the upper A arm only. I have 4 degrees caster by using OPM adapters. I use 16th toe out in fronts and keep the rears equal. I run 225 hoosiers in front and 205 in rear.

I hope this helps.

Mr Blaney. Do you get equal heat in your tires using 1 degree camber in the front?
Your suspension numbers are way off of mine and I was curious.

Thanks
Duncan