PDA

View Full Version : Gutting CRX

jc836
05-18-2002, 05:38 PM
There have been a number of threads on this. My experience covers a combination of techniques.
For those with a regular hammer, chisel edge putty knife (1-1/2" wide),wire brush, Goof Off concentrate, PPG AcryliClean, rags and a lot of time-this actually works.
I tried using "adhesive remover" and that created a gloppy mess. The scraper and hammer removed the dampening tar from the floor in mamageable small pieces. The use of Goof Off was to help get the remnants off the surface-just let the stuff soak for about 1 hour. Dry the surface completely and then use the cleaner the same way for the rinse and wipe. I overcoated the metal with RustOleum automotive primer. BTW: I did find that there are a number of holes in the pan that do NOT have plugs-I used duct tape to close them off.
We do not have a source of dry ice in my general area-so this method was used. The front floor material came off easier than that under the hatch-go figure that one out.
I would also suggest that the battery be disconnected and the ECU be removed during this project.

------------------