PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Engines

ckracer58
05-13-2002, 12:02 PM
I am currently running an 86 ITC Civic with an EW1 carbed motor. The motor I have now is running strong but I am thinking down the road a bit. A friend of my suggested that if I am looking for another motor, try one of those Japanese Engine distributors that sell low mileage engines. After researching a few places I found that most claim that their motors usually have less than 40k and are tested, inspected, and have 60 day warranties. The prices for a EW1 ranged between $350-$550.

My Plan:
Since built ITC motors going for as much as $2500, a bit out of my price range, I need an alturnative. I was thinking of puchaseing a low mileage(?) Japanese motor (about $450) and have the head rebuilt to IT specs ($350). I have been told that the EW1 bottom end is pretty tough so it could take the new fresh head. I know it would not be an AARC caliber motor, but the logic seem like it would not be that bad?

I would like to know what you think? Is this worth it? If so, can you please let me know what Japanese engines dealers have a good reputation.

Thanks

racer-025
05-13-2002, 12:53 PM
I highly recommend these engines. I have purchased several. They are exactly as they say. Low milage engines in very good clean condition. They usually come with the distributer, alternator and starter. Most come with the ac pump too. Now build one of these engines into a IT spec engine. Take particular note that these engines have been sitting around for a few years since they were running. Replace the plugs, timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket prior to running. I have not had any problems with head gaskets.

Sometimes they come with a different induction system that you will have to remove along with the distributor. Otherwise the engine would be identical. I have seen the D16a6 (88-91 CRX Si) engine come with a dual carb setup that is ecu controlled. It was actually in a '90 Honda Integra. There are no Acura's in Japan.

greg_umbay
05-13-2002, 01:07 PM
Yup, low mileage on the engine and here is why. I lived there for a while. Basically the laws of owning a car are set up that after about 30,000 miles or X number of years your registration will cost you to much. So your options are to pay the high fees or dump the car and get a new one. One thing about the cars all of the 30k miles are stop and go miles.

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

Joe Craven
05-13-2002, 01:45 PM
I've bought a couple for a Datsun 200SX. The first was great, clean and ran well. It wouldn't develop much power over 6000rpm but I thought that it was due to the fuel injection restriction. The Japanese Z20 motors were carbureted and came with points ignition The second I bought was an older style engine and I had to grind out a little on the head to get the fuel injection manifold to fit. It however pulled strong to 7000 so I'm suspicious that they may have different cams in them. Oh, I've had problems with the 2nd engine, the block was filled with loads of rust and crap and it plugged up a couple of radiators before getting clean enough to run w/o overheating.