PDA

View Full Version : Question for those running Ground Control coilovers in the C

ITR#231
05-09-2002, 05:09 PM
I just received my GC coilovers and Koni yellows, but the install instructions are downright laughable. The GC instructions are almost clear enough to follow, but from what I can tell there are a few ways to install this setup. I figured I would just ask the other ITA CRX guys about how they did it. What pieces did you keep from the stock setup? What did you do with the bumpstops (cut...how much? remove, replace)? A general walk-through would be fantastic. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ITR#231 (edited May 09, 2002).]

Tyson
05-09-2002, 06:03 PM
Well, having just done this last night, its as easy as it looks. actually, i know the konis require a separate piece, not sure what it is. but my installation on my illuminas went pretty easy, just slide two orings down, and place then at the bottom and middle of the split cover rubber piece, so it kinda tapers. then just slide the sleeve over it, make sure you used the right thickness oring so that the sleeve is snug. then i cut the bumpstop in half. for now, im not gonna use the dust cover. im gonna see how much travel i have and then cut to measure. remove the stock rubber insulator on the top mount and use theirs. then bolt it in. its as easy as the instructions look.

oh yeah, the front stock rubber mounts can be reused.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited May 09, 2002).]

ITR#231
05-09-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tyson. The Koni adapter is nothing special. It just sits inside of the GC sleeve to keep it from sliding all the way over the shock.

When you are talking about:

"just slide two orings down, and place then at the bottom and middle of the split cover rubber piece, so it kinda tapers. then just slide the sleeve over it"

was that what you did to install the sleeves over the shock on the illuminas? I don't recognize any of those parts as being included in my kit.

Tyson
05-09-2002, 07:40 PM
yeah i guess thats the difference with konis. my installation requires the black rubber piece to wrap around the shock in bettwen the sleeve. but to give it a little more girth, you put orings aroudn the shock tube and then wrap the black rubber piece.

do you have that rubber piece or is it a solid tube?

ITR#231
05-09-2002, 07:53 PM
The Konis have a ring around the shaft that is constructed almost like a piston ring. It is very rigid. The sleeve of the coilover has a small adapter built into it to "catch" on the Koni ring. There is no rubber.