PDA

View Full Version : changing the brake master cylinder

greg_umbay
05-08-2002, 01:01 PM
I am about to change the brake master cylinder. I would like to sanity check myslef before I start the work.

0. Empty the resivior
1. Disconnect the lines from the master cylinder
2. place pan under the master cylinder to catch any brake fluid that spills
3. Remove the master cylinder from the brake booster.
4. replace the new master cylinder
5. refill the resivior with brake fluid
6. bleed the brakes.

Is there a step I am missing? I have a shop manual and that looks like all there is to it.

Thanks for the advice,

Greg

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

joeg
05-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Greg--I would first make sure you can actually loosen the lines at the old master first.

You forgot "bench bleeding" the new master before it is installed.

Cheers.

Greg Gauper
05-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Bench bleeding is a good idea! Otherwise you introduce that much more air in the system. Try and cover or seal the exposed brake lines while they are disconnected to prevent the lines from emptying and also introducing dirt.

Make sure you use a good quality flare-nut wrench to remove and replace the old brake lines. A standard crescent wrench will probably round-off the nuts. You don't need a complete set, just buy a 10mm-11mm combo wrench and this will handle just about anything on a Honda. Sears has them.

Don't forget to replace the reservoir cap!

Tyson
05-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Yeah, what he said about standard crescent wrench stripping the nut. Gotta get the wrenches that are about 3/4 around so it will bite more. Problem is that the 10mm wrench is always gone at the hardware store. Or just use a vise grip and continue using vice grip to loosen and tighten....