PDA

View Full Version : Upper A arm and eccentric bushings....Loose?

DUNCAN
05-07-2002, 11:54 AM
I am using eccentric bushings on the upper A arms on my 90 Si. Ground Control sold them to me. While checking the caster I noticed that the Whole A Arm could move along the axis of rotation about 3/16ths of an inch with very little effort. I did not investigate further to see how much caster I was gaining or losing due to the movement. I did buy a 49 cent washer and install it between the bushing flange and the mounting bracket. It appears to have stopped the axial movement.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this the proper way to correct the problem?

Thanks
Duncan

CivicFP
05-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Most of those eccentric bushings that I've seen have a flange at one end of the inner piece. You need to install the inner pieces with the flanges facing in opposite directions (one forward and one backward). If the flanges are both pointing in the same direction, the arm can slide. I believe this may be your problem.

DUNCAN
05-08-2002, 01:12 PM
That was not the problem. The flange side was opposite, and on the outer most side of the A arm. When I put the washer on to space it better I switched them to the Inner most side of the A arm. I'm fairly sure that the A arm and the A arm mount are still true.

I put one 7/8" SAE washer on the flange side of one of the bushings and it appears to have solved the problem.

I used to be able to put a screwdriver between the A arm and the wheel well and, with very little effort, push the complete A arm forward and back along the axis of rotation. Now I cannot.

If nothing else, this post may have a few folks double check their bushings

Thanks
Duncan