PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Prelude Si/S 2.0, not classed?

Keegan
05-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Is this car not classes to run in IT? I looked on the SCCA site and searched here and around, but can't find a definitive answer. Is the 1986 Prelude Si/S 2.0 FI car not alowed to run in IT anywhere?

greg_umbay
05-03-2002, 12:38 PM
I looked in the GCR, ITCS page 40. I see that the Honda Prelude 1.8L 83-87 is classified in IT-B. I don't see a Prelude 2.0 Are you looking to get into road racing? You have two options, to talk to you local SCCA and run in ITX or some kind of ITEverything class. The second option is to petition the SCCA national competition board to classify your car. Which I did for the 92-95 Honda Civic DX.

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

[This message has been edited by greg_umbay (edited May 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by greg_umbay (edited May 03, 2002).]

Keegan
05-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Yes, I am looking at starting road racing. I have a lot of different cars, and am trying to figure out which car to start with.

Cars:
This Prelude
2 83 320i's
89 Golf
87 Golf
87 RX-7 13b turbo
84 RX-7 12a

Knestis
05-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Keegan:
I have a lot of different cars, and am trying to figure out which car to start with.

Cars:
This Prelude - not listed
2 83 320i's - listed, not generally competitive in B?
89 Golf - a stalwart ITB car
87 Golf - ditto, all of the Golfs are fine
87 RX-7 13b turbo - not legal in IT
84 RX-7 12a - probably the most affordable but thought by many to be outclassed in ITA...

You might see if your local region has IT7, Spec7, or some other class for the first genaration RX. That would be a cheap way to go.

HOWEVER, you are not getting off of the hook without listening to the "you should buy a racecar rather than build one" sermon! It is pretty much always more affordable and more likely to actually get you onto the track.

Best wishes with the project!

Kirk

Keegan
05-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Kirk, but with all the cars, tools, mechanical assistance and shop space I have, I thought it best if I just put one together. I don't want to be competetive, just have fun and get out there. Maybe later if I enjoy it, I will try for something competetive. Here in Oklahoma, Hallett is my only place to race and there aren't that many IT events there. I don't want to have to trailer it, so I am kinda limited. I have been reading on here a while trying to absorb info and agree that if I want to race competetively, buying a built car is the way to go.

Knestis
05-03-2002, 08:29 PM
In that case, look at the older RX7 and the Golfs and decide:

1. Which one you would least care about writing off if you have a bad day...

2. Which one you know best how to work on, and...

3. Which one you feel faster in...

...and build an IT car. One of the three will suit your purposes. You should really spend as much time as you can at the track, ideally working with someone who races the car you decide is going to get donated to the cause.

Let us know how the plan pans out!

Kirk

bobpink
05-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Yeah. Sure. The old I am not looking to be competitive, just want to have fun line ;-). How many have entered IT this way and found how much they are willing to spend to race with the top five?

Really, either way you will absolutely have a blast. But I do think it is important to go to the race track to have a look around and talk to someone who is racing a car that you are interested in. Each car has its own pluses and minuses and you can avoid a lot of problems if you know ahead of time what to expect and what to prepare for. One of the best things I ever did was crew for a year before I took the bait to get behind the wheel.

Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 03, 2002).]