PDA

View Full Version : seal leak or axel problem

ckracer58
04-25-2002, 09:31 PM
During my first drivers school I noticed that my tranny was leaking some major oil. After some inspection I noticed that the drivers side axel seal was leaking......again. When I bought the car a few months ago the same thing occured, leaky axel seal. I replaced the seal and while sitting in the garage (approx. 4-5 months) not a leak, until the drivers school. My questions in could it be a worn/defective axel that is making the seal leak or is that seal tricky to replace properly?

USGUYS
04-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Does your car have a quaife differential? If so it may be the adapters for the diff bearings may have moved and may be allowing the axle to wobble and blow out the seal. It happened to me. It may be a bad diff bearing. When the axle is installed there should be no radial movement. The only way to fix it is a complete disassembly. E-mail me for further details.

joeg
04-26-2002, 11:53 AM
The axels could be moving out of the tranny in certain cornering conditions which woud cause leaks. Make sure they are fully inserted and can't "walk" in and out.

ckracer58
04-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Yes, the car does have a Quafe limited slip, which I must say does a great job. What do you mean by radial movement. What is your email USGUYS?

Thanks!