PDA

View Full Version : Cost to build CRX for ITC?

Jack2002
04-21-2002, 07:21 PM
I am very new to all of this stuff but I am wanting to build or buy a competitive car. I have been looking at the ITC class. I have been looking into VW but it seems very expensive to build a first class car, around $10,000 for the parts and motor. If I were to build a CRX for ITC would that be less expensive? I am very picky about car prep and want to do it correct. Any imput would be great.
God Bless
Jack2002

------------------
http://www.jackweigand.com

jc836
04-21-2002, 07:47 PM
My current project is a 1989 CRX Si. The car was not cheap, as it came from NC and is rust free. That alone saved a good bit on prep. However, I will have to do the roof modification. The panel replacement (best method in the long run) is on the order of $300 for the parts plus install. Since my car needs paint and other cosmetics-due to age, the cost will go up accordingly. The chassis shop doing the work will also install the roll cage, fire supression, belts, make bulkheads, etc. The estimate is around $3000 ready to go out his door. You will also want to update and/or replace all of the rear suspension bushings, sway bar, shocks, springs, brake lines, pads/shoes, rotorsdrums. Plan on another $1000. If you elect to redo the powertrain entirely-that could raise the final number substantially. In my case we plan on doing a refresh including bearings and clutch.
You need to consider the replacement of hubs, bearings and wheel studs.
Final cost could be well over $5000 depending on what you need to do. This assumes you have a car to prep. CRX Si's are not cheap if really clean. There are a number of them available and the prices range from $1500 to $4000. This set of numbers is based solely on my experience thus far. A race seat and weld-in roll cage add over $1200 to the total, btw. Hope this is a help to you.

Jack2002
04-21-2002, 08:26 PM
jc836,
Thanks for the info. I am wanting to prep a car like the one in the Tech section in the photo essay. I am that picky, LOL! That car was very well prepaired and rigid, do you know who owns that car? I can do my own cage and fabricating but I was wondering about the cost of a race motor and all of the suspension. Thanks again for the input.
God Bless
Jack2002

------------------

bobpink
04-21-2002, 09:23 PM
The ITC Honda in the Tech photos is for sale in the Classifieds section along with a couple of others. All appear to be pretty good cars. I drove an ITC CRX with Mike Fine last year and the car is a blast to drive. It can be a little twitchy because of the short wheelbase, but that is what made it fun to drive :-)

Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

Jack2002
04-22-2002, 11:37 AM
bobpink,
Thanks for the info. I got excited and called about the car, IT WAS SOLD! LOL! I am crushed. What a great deal that was, I would have been set for the year. Was that the correct car for the ITC class? I really don't want to build or buy the wrong car first time out. Any input would be great.
Jack2002

------------------