PDA

View Full Version : You guys helped me pick her out, so you might as well meet h

ITR#231
04-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Okay, as some of you know I have been collecting information about project racecars, and I decided a little while ago on a 88-91 CRX Si for ITA and PS2. Well, after a month or so of looking, researching, test driving, etc., I finally found what I think is the perfect base for the project. It is a 1988 CRX Si with just under 160K on the original motor. The car is completely stock inside and out (as far as I can tell), and I picked it up for $1,825. Here's a couple of pics. Sorry about the large size:

http://home.earthlink.net/~conekiller/pictures/KLRB1.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~conekiller/pictures/KLRB2.JPG

The Good:

-100% stock
-No chassis damage, never bent, completely straight
-No rust, anywhere, that I have been able to find
-Doesn't leak
-Runs strong

The Bad:
-AC doesn't work (taking that out)
-Interior has seen better days (taking that out)
-Needs CV boot right away
-Needs plugs, wires, ignition coil soon

After I cleaned it up (the pictures are dirty, it was dark by the time I finished cleaning) I was actually amazed at how good it looks. Things that looked like huge scratches ended up being tar, and there are much fewer dents/dings than I thought. It's almost TOO clean, but oh well =) I started taking out the large interior pieces from the hatch and I have found no surprises (and now I have an OEM jack from an accord, integra, civic, AND crx. My collection is almost complete!). Tomorrow I'll take out the rest of the big interior parts, but I'll leave both seats and the dash for now. After that, I'm just looking at getting the engine running in top shape, which means new fluids, filters, etc. I can't wait!!! Wish me luck.

Tyson
04-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Congrats, im quite jealous at the price you paid for this, im sure others would be too. you certainly did pick up the right year to start off with. (not sure tho if you chose the right color, its a bit of an inside joke between crx owners, go to http://www.geocities.com/teamwhy49/ for an explanation.) Be sure to upgrade the ecu to at least a 90 or 91, engines run smoother. You should also know the suspension parts are unique to 88 as well (actually more similar to your ITR). have fun.

il8apex
04-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Great car at a great price! Contact me offline at [email protected] to sell interior parts... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

-Tom

Knestis
04-10-2002, 05:22 PM
As an avowed non-fan of the CRX (sorry) I almost hate to say it but I get a little tug at the ol' heartstrings when spring comes along, and flowers, young love and new race cars pop out all over!

Again, you do seem like you are doing this the right way. Keep up the good work! If you haven't already done so, make sure to visit the build series photos in the TECH CENTER here at it.com.

Kirk

ITR#231
04-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Tyson,

Yea, I've already been warned about the color. We'll see if that superstition carries any weight to it http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Is it really worth upgrading to the newer ecu? I've seen 90-91 ecu's for $25 or less. Is it plug and play? Worth the money/time? I know about the 88 differences, and I made my decision with that in mind. You're right about the rear control arms (I assume that's what you're talking about with respect to my ITR). I also like the "no drag/less weight" feature of the rear drums, although there will be a learning curve for adjustments I'm sure.

il8apex,

Do you really want interior parts? I have most everything out as of today, and it's all there with a couple of very small exceptions (driver's side speaker cover is all I can think of off hand. That's the only big thing missing). If you're interested, I'll send you some pics of what I have.

Knestis,
Yea, I drooled over the build pictures long before I decided on this car. I'll use them as a reference. Thanks! BTW, I'm not a huge fan of the CRX either, all things considered. But, I can't argue with results, and it sure beats the ITR's track budget!

cjfinkle
04-11-2002, 03:28 AM
Yes the 90-91 ecu is worth it. It has slightly better maps on it and yes it is plug and play. And the 88 ecu cannot be modified if that was ever in your plans.

Tyson
04-11-2002, 03:41 AM
ITR, ive got two requests for interior parts. Id like to have the sissy handle on the passenger side and the driver side door panel (passenger would be nice, but dont need it as much as driver). ill pay for shipping and reasonable green on top of course. email me at [email protected]

ITR#231
04-11-2002, 04:03 AM
cjfinkle,

The ecu was a distant plan, since there is so much to do that is more important. However, if the 91 ecu is a tested benefit and it's a direct swap, I guess I'll pick one up as one comes along. Thanks for the idea guys!

Tyson,

Define "sissy handle." I haven't removed either door panel, so that stuff should still be around.

Tyson
04-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Its the handle on the A pillar.
just let me know. no rush.

solo2crx
04-11-2002, 09:37 AM
I too am interested in some interior pieces for my street car. It would be nice to get them from a racer to help their car construction budget a little. email me at [email protected] if you are interested in selling some of the parts. I need the plastic cover that goes over the rearview mirror (covers the screws), the plastic trim that goes along the back of the headliner (includes interior dome light), the pieces that cover the intiror of the hatch where the third brake light and rear wiper bits are, and I could also use a decent set of sunvisors as mine are a little ratty. There is probably more I could use but that is tops on my list.

Thanks,
Jason F.

CSPTK
04-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Wow, that looks familiar!! ;-) I actually just got an 89 for street fun....never heard about the color storyline though...hmmmm....excuse to paint it.

Anyway, I am very interested in a few interior pieces and willing to pay. I prefer to stay away from the "rice" pages for these parts (screwed one too many times). Email me off line if interested in a sale. I am looking for a few misc. pieces, but mainly the cargo area carpeted covers (the top one and the hinged one that folds forward).

Thanks, and congrats on the find,

Tom Kearney
[email protected]

ITR#231
04-12-2002, 01:52 AM
Tyson,

Okay, I was a little confused for a while because I was looking for the sissy handle on the A pillar AND ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR PANEL. Now that I have re-read your post a few times, I think you're looking for the ONE sissy handle, as well as a pair of door panels, yes? If so, I have all of that. The sissy handle I can ship right away (do you need the A-pillar with it, or just the handle). However, the door panels will be in for a little while longer while I work out the glass issue. The handle looks good to me, with no cuts or chunks. I'm sure it's faded, but I don't have a reference.

solo2crx,

I have the rearview mirror cover off, and it isn't broken (I'm amazed). Like everything else, it looks good to me but I'm sure it's a little faded. I also have the plastic trim pieces you're looking for (both), but I'm going to hang on to the dome light if you don't want it because it might come in handy. You can also have the sun visors. I'm not sure if they're ratty by your definition, but you can see a pic if you'd like when I get around to taking pictures of all of this stuff. I'll also send you an e-mail.

CSPTK,

I'll e-mail you too. I have the carpeted covers you're looking for, and they are worn but not broken and still functional. Let me know what else you need.

Sorry to everyone else that this turned into a for sale post, but thanks for the interest and the help clearing out my garage!!

Tyson
04-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Thanks. Door panels can wait. Sissy bar would be cool. Yeah, just that ONE on the passenger side. Pelase email me offline at [email protected]. thanks.

ITR#231
04-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Okay, I have everything removed and I have pictures of everything. If you are interested in any interior parts, please e-mail me directly at [email protected] so that this thread doesn't continue as a big "For Sale" thread.