PDA

View Full Version : intake piping system

Chris Sawatsky
03-28-2002, 12:03 PM
Is the AEM cold air intake the product of choice for an ITA crx? Or is a filter on a stick system just as good or better, in our application?

Mike Dunn
03-28-2002, 05:27 PM
AEM is the top choice!! Have the conversion that comes with it in case of rain.

--Mike

lb2
03-28-2002, 06:37 PM
AEM is good and try to buy the Bypass Valve that will help in the rain.
Louis

Tyson
03-28-2002, 07:13 PM
Have you guys seriously found the need for the bypass valve? My experience from the street is that its completely unecessary, being that I wont be wading in puddles. Even in the heaviest storm I dont see any chance of any more than a couple splashes of water to wet the filter. The filter is gonna have to be submerged in order for the a condition of hydrolocking. Moist air is just gonna reduce air concentration and produce less power, and will go away in the combustion, but youre gonna get moist air anyway with the bypass valve.

lb2
03-28-2002, 07:29 PM
The air filter is suposed to be located behind the bumper with dry setup and if it hapenned that you are on the track and it starts rainning trust me you can loose an engine easily, it happened to me almost up to a point where the car was barely running and I wished that the air filter was inside the car ( rain setup) if you use the Bypass you can run the dry setup all the time even with hard rain because the Bypass will be sucking the air from the inside.
Louis B.

Chris Wire
03-28-2002, 07:32 PM
Be careful before you lay down your cash. The Comp Board made a recommendation to have the air intake source moved to the stock location or "within the confines of the engine compartment." If this recommendation becomes a rule, all those with cold-air induction (in the fender and such) will have to change them out.

See http://www.scca.org/news/fastrack/02-02.pdf .

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35

jc836
04-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Please correct me if I misunderstood Tech this week - the Rule is that the intake shall not be located outside the engine bay in the case of a CRX Si as the stock intake location is indeed behind the core support. My understanding for ITA is that you must locate in the general area of the stock air box. Thus a "short ram" is permitted as it is a direct replacement for the stock system.
(The issue with a CAI is different for F Production.)

Tyson
04-05-2002, 03:40 PM
I gotta agree with jc, aem takes up the same space as the old airbox since the filter is placed in the same area the stock resonator is. but whatever. not an issue at the moment.

Wait a minute, what do you mean by "short ram", we're talking about CAI, ones that drop down in the area below the battery. i still think thats within the confines of the engine.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited April 05, 2002).]

Gord Galloway
04-06-2002, 12:10 PM
I compared dyno tests and prices a few years back and as aresult bought the Light Speed intake. (Not a CAI) The dyno tests were so close to AEM and DC sports but the price was less, It still mounts behind the battery however I took out the stock resonator in the inner fender well and the inner fender well and with some ingenuity made a " air deflector" to channel air into the opening that the resonator came out of. This deflector is by no means a duct! but it does help with some fresh air flow and racing in the rain is not a problem, even in BIG puddles.

------------------
Gordon Galloway
Honda CRXsi
IT2 #32