PDA

View Full Version : remote oil filter location?

Chris Sawatsky
03-28-2002, 08:12 PM
Where do you people put your remote oil filter mounts? Or does everyone use sandwich adapters?

Thanks!

racer-025
04-03-2002, 09:40 AM
I don't recommend the remote oil filter setup and/or an accusump. They can be prone to spoil your day, if a line blows off or starts a leak etc. Try to keep things simple.

This is just my opinion. Keep it simple!

Tom Blaney
04-03-2002, 11:20 AM
I have used an accusump and a remote oil filter on my crx/si for a year now and it is the best protection. The accusump, or comperable is a must (imho) since the stock unit will slosh. I used a QUALITY !! (not whitney) adapter plate that teed to the accusump, and a remote filter on the fron frame rail. No matter what, the oil change is still messy, but likey to be more frequent. Make sure that you use high quality braded line and assemble the aeroquip fittings carefully. Take the few extra steps and clamp or tie wrap all of the lines so they don't get stressed or pulled on. Simplicity is good, but keep in mind that a blown motor is a pain during the middle of the season.

MRL10
04-03-2002, 12:31 PM
I prepare 3 IT Honda's 2 ITC and 1 ITA all of which have remote oil cooler plumbed in on a sandwich plate. All cars have competed for 5+ years. I have not had a line (Russell) failure not even a little leak. I do run the sock Honda filters on all 3. They are inexpensive insurance, I figure that they were engineered for the vehicle and saving $1-2 on a filter is not going to pay for tires. I could plumb in a remote filter but do not see any advantage to it.

racer-025
04-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Just a little hint for those that want to add a remote oil cooler setup on your CRX. An Integra oil cooler/filter setup will screw onto the CRX block.

Greg Gauper
04-05-2002, 03:41 PM
A real low cost alternative is to use a first generation CRX/Civic Si comes with a stock oil to water oil cooler. Fits the carb'd engine perfectly. Doesn't provide as much cooling as a true oil-to-air cooler, but better than nothing. Relies on the principle that you can use 180deg water to cool 240 degree oil.

Nice feature is that in colder climates (like here in Wisconsin) the unit helps to get the oil up to normal operating temperature quicker.

Pegasus sells very nice sandwhich blocks that screw between the block and stock filter to provide ports for a remote oil cooler.

Greg Gauper
04-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Just an additional side note,
The stock OEM oil filter is one of the best units that money can buy. Don't try to save a few bucks on a cheap after-market filter. Cut one of the Honda filters apart and compare the insides with some of the after-market junk. My Honda dealer sells me the filters at cost and I buy them 5 or 6 at a time, since I change the oil frequently. Cheap insurance!!!!

Don't try and be cheap with the aluminum crush washers for the drain plug either. But a washer with each filter.

Gord Galloway
04-06-2002, 12:05 PM
2 additional side notes, the Intergra Type R has a similar factory oil cooler and I know for sure that the filter size is the same as is the nut to go onto the factory oil filter housing. I'm not sure if the older civic/crx filter threads were not different, it seems to me that it was a bigger diameter mount? As far as filters go I agree 100% with Greg! I used to work for Nissan for several years and there were many a 240sx/truck engine destroyed due to people buying "cheaper" filters. The reason was due to the internals of the filters, Nissan filters had check valves in the filters that did not allow oil to drain out of them with the engine off, aftermarket ones did not. What would happen is that the t-chain tensioner would not get oil pressure right away and the tensioner guide would "slap" causing the guide to break. eventually the chain would skip and the motor would be DONE! A FILTER IS NOT JUST A FILTER! Isn't it worth the extra $2.00 to buy a filter that is known to be good?!!? Heck we can justify spending $7.00 or more for a liter of oil why not get the best filter we can also...just my thoughts...

------------------
Gordon Galloway
Honda CRXsi
IT2 #32