PDA

View Full Version : Thicker cored radiator for 2nd Gen CRX

cbotha
03-13-2002, 06:13 PM
There is a thicker core radiator that bolts in to the 2nd gen CRX. Does anyone know application it is from?

Thanks

Dave Damouth
03-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Colin- Don't know 'bout no stinkin' Honda cars, but you could try this:
http://www.alumrad.com/

I just sort through the core sizes they have, spend some time with an old radiator sizing everything up. Draw a well dimensioned sketch of what you want that they can make out of a stock core size. It took me a few phone calls and faxes to sort out what they could and couldn't do. Radiator came ups 3 days after I faxed final drawing, cost about $300.

I can fax you the drawing for a Mazda radiator and a contact name. They seem to spend a lot of time doing specialty race stuff, were easy to deal with and knowledgeable.

slackerjay
03-14-2002, 12:02 PM
if memory serves me right...the del sol (dohc)radiator has a bigger core and should be a direct fit. not 100% sure but might be worth checking into. hope this helps

Chris Sawatsky
03-14-2002, 12:44 PM
the delly rad does not bolt in, it is half the width of the crx rad

I had my rad converted to dual core by a local rad shop. They used my existing tanks and put in a new core setup. It helped a lot, and it bolts in as stock

SMSP
03-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Colin, Call 1-800-Radiator and they can give you all the dimensions of the radiators that fit in a given body. I ended up getting a thicker one that wasn't as long as the stock one for my GT4 Civic. I think it cost me $130 a couple years ago.

BTW, What header are you running now?

JCSpiegel
03-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Use the radiator from the 2nd gen 4wd Civic wagon, auto trans. Bolts right in, has a dual core as opposed to single core

Tyson
03-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Is a better radiator really something I should be looking for? Someone with a water temp guage say conclusively the stock cooling capacity is down on performance? I use redline water wetter and had to replace my radiator for a metal one from 1800-radiators and i can barely get my fan to turn on, although it does sometimes, so i know it works.

cbotha
03-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Dave
Currently I've got a DCSports header from the car I got last year. I massaged the dents on yours and have it on my street car. (well currently it sitting waiting for its new life as a ITA shell)

Thanks for the info on the radiators.