PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Starve problem

CSPTK
03-22-2002, 01:50 AM
Hey All,

Although it's not an ITA car, this seems like a good place to ask anyway:

Has anyone figured out a way to cure the (well known?) fuel starvation issue in the 88-91 CRX/Civic? I primarily autocross my car and I can't run with less than 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank of gas or I get fuel starve problems (primarily right handers). I do also run into this issue on the track, but not until the fuel is down around a quarter tank.

New/bigger fuel pump? Aux. fuel pump? One of those "trick" fuel rails(AEm, STR, etc.)?IT legality is not a factor for me.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

[This message has been edited by CSPTK (edited March 22, 2002).]

lb2
03-22-2002, 11:19 AM
That is a problem with all the 88-91 CRX and the way to fix it is to install a surge tank, you get a small surge tank and an extra fuel pump, the factory pump will pump fuel to the surge tank and the new pump will pump fuel to the engine and trust me you can almost run on fume.

Louis Boustani

Gord Galloway
03-22-2002, 08:30 PM
I too have problems with fuel starvation. Only difference is that I run a fuel cell. The car usually sputers on LH turns and therefore have put the pick-up into the deep right rear corner. the cell is about half full of foam. Any suggestions...would the surge tank work for me also..IS IT IT legal???

lb2
03-23-2002, 09:41 AM
Yes the surge tank is IT legal, and yes that will work with fuel cell but with the fuel cell you should not have that problem at all make sure the baffle works on that fuel cell or check it to see if it is working properly because you should not have that problem, actually I recomend fuel cell if you can afford it first if not the second option is to use the surge tank.
Louis

Gord Galloway
03-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Baffle?...I have a fuel safe pro-cell (15ga). the pump & pick-up is mounted to the removeable plate. there is a pick-up hose that runs underneath the foam to the far right rear corner. I would like more info on this baffle if it is an add on thing. Primarily the car starves on hard left turns while accelerating or after coming off a hard right hander with only 1/2 load of fuel. (hence why I put the pick-up in right rear corner) I have been scrathing my head as to why this is happening and so far the only thing I can come up with is that the fue slosh is causing the pick-up and foam to all rise and "lift " into an air pocket?!!?...Any advice would be greatly appreciated

------------------

lb2
03-23-2002, 10:20 PM
I am not sure why you fuel cell is not working and trust me I am not an expert on them but it is a fact that the fuel cell should not give you any starvation problem and you need to check with an expert on why it is doing it or call the Fuel Safe and ask them maybe, some fuel cell I think have a baffle or kind of a trap to keep some fuel in it so the car will not starve or maybe you need to add that to your cell.

Louis