PDA

View Full Version : Help - how do set up the fuel sampling

greg_umbay
02-01-2002, 02:23 PM
a question for the Honda guys. how do i set up the fuel smapling port? I am really lost on this one. can some one give me a rundown on what needs to be done?

R2 Racing
03-11-2002, 11:01 PM
I have used two diffferent ways. First I went to NAPA and got a small brass 3 way valve (~$10) and put it in the fuel line before the carb. I put a clear plasic tube on the third port of the valve for sampling and ran it into one of the overflow bottles for safekeeping. All you have to do is turn the valve handle to get a sample. It also works as a shutoff for fuel to the carb when you're working on it. It looks kind of hokey but it works.

Also there is a supplier (don't have the flyer with me right now) that is selling quick disconnects that you install in the fuel line. When you want a sample, you pop off the disconnect and pop in a hose with a male fitting on it. The fittings are supposed to be SCCA approved because they internally close the port before breaking the connection (no leaking). They are a bit expensive (roughly $60 for the 3 fittings, 1 female, 2 male) but they make a very clean installation.

downingracing
03-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Mine is in the return line. (less pressure) I have a T connection on the return side run to a valve. It is under the hood, but I have about 4ft of hose that I zip-tie out of the way.

Good luck!

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

Tom Blaney
03-12-2002, 09:59 AM
I haven't got my 2002 gcr cd yet. Is there a rule that we have to put a fuel sampling fitting in?

Can't they just syphon it out of the tank?

greg_umbay
03-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the advice. I placed a T fitting on the return side also. The chief scrutineer came over to my place to tech the car and he said the T fitting would be good enough.

"Can't they just syphon it out of the tank?"

I thought the same. The GCR specifically states that doing such is not acceptable. There I was hours before the tech chief was to arrive, running around Home Depot looking for fittings.

cbotha
03-13-2002, 06:41 PM
From THe GRC 17.4.2
Cars shall be equipped with an easily accessible sampling valve.port...it shall not consist of removing a fuel line unless a dry break fitting has been installed. Siphoning of fuel is unaccepetable. Cars equipped with a factory fuel pressure test port or competitors haveing factgory fuel pressure test equipement available are not required to have an additional fuel sampling port.

On my Honda, I tapped the banjo bolt to screw in a schrader valve. Then I have a cap with a hose on a barbed fitting (to run to bottle for sample). The cap has a screw to open the schrader valve.

four27
03-15-2002, 05:57 PM
SCCa does not want a fuel sample port on the high pressure side of the injected cars for obvious reasons. all one has to do is tap into the low pressure side and do it exactly as Matt Downing did. Most fluid connector shops have double shutoff (male and female parts) quick disconnects. Tell them it is for high test gas and they will most likely get you the ones that are designed for brake systems like the ones I have. I think mine cost 15 bucks. and with 4 feet of coiled hose-- life is easy. It also makes it easy to drain the tank if contaminated fuel or for weight reduction as you only have to put the line in a bucket and let the car run. and the low pressure makes it the safest bet for the SCCA mandated testing capability.
and for you cheaters, the gals and guys at pregrid can smell illegal gas with the best of them so dont try it.

mlytle
03-16-2002, 01:07 AM
curious now..
where does it say the scca does not want the port to be on the supply side?

the gcr says "between the tank and the injectors", it does not say "between the injectors and the tank". this leads me to believe they want it on the supply (high pressure) side.

has there been a clarification or rule change??
marshall

four27
03-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Marshal It doesnt say it in the GCR you are correct but the inspectors are telling folks they prefer it on low pressure side as it is safer-- ie wont spray fuel on hot engine. Many fuel injection systems maintain pressure hours after engine is shut down.

badal
03-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Fuel Test Ports are available from:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafuelports/page3.html

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

bbp
03-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by badal:
Fuel Test Ports are available from:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafuelports/page3.html

I got mine from Paul too. Worked great! He was very quick in shipping the port and access valve. Highly recommended!