PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell for 91 CRX ITA

plank
01-19-2002, 02:57 PM
Anyone put a cell in their CRX? What size, type?

D Plank
Still building 91 CRX

Mike Dunn
01-19-2002, 04:03 PM
If you run ITA, you do not need a cell. I dont think anyone in the country has a cell in a ITA Crx. You have to have one though if you run in production or GT. The stock gas tank in the Crx is very safe. That is my opinion and I have heard that it is heavier (the fuel cell) than the stock tank.

Mike

lb2
01-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Mike & Plank, I have seen few ITA cars with fuel cell one of them was the King Motorsport car that Bob Endicot drove last year at the ARRC, also Mike Fine had one in his ITC car and his dad runs one in his ITC Civic.
It is good to have one if you want to spend the money for Endurance Races and also it is good to have it since you will box the interior of the car and that will help to have less air inside the car.

Louis Boustani

USGUYS
01-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Unless you want to run in production classes it isn't worth the work. USGUYS put a fuel cell in our new car. It was not a cheap date. Close to $900, even though we did all the installation ourselves. We used a 12gal. cell. Two fuel pumps. There are a lot of engineering problems. The mounting, The pumps, and nightmare of the required firewall. It is safer and works perfect. Chasing EP MGBs with my ITA car was a ball. We are going to do a bunch of racing in FP next year. Email me if you want some advice on the details. Too many things for this post.

NoRaceCarYet
01-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Dick,

I think Both Roth has one in his car - an 8 Gallon I seem to remember...

Do you remember the Loooong Race, I think 96 or 97 when Chuck Peterson went backwards into a tree in T3B at BFR in Roth's pink car? The car crushed all the way back to cage and the fuel tank split open and the car caught fire. I think then he switched to a Fuel Cell for the Yellow and Green "Packers" car.

K

volante
01-22-2002, 10:52 PM
I am not sure if B.Roth has fuel cell or not--I want to say no.I ran a the long Gingerman race in his car and I am sure it was the stock tank.Dick--call John Grimmer--Jay Lovett put one in the car he (John)got from him.You can get Grimmer's number from the Council phone book.
Good luck at Midwest Council this year guy's--we will not be doing many Council race's this year.

Dave

Bob Roth
01-26-2002, 01:44 AM
Funny that you should mention me. Yes, Huey (my pink car)was backed into a tree at blackhawk which pushed the back end into the tank and folded a full tank into a pretzel. and yes they emptied almost all the track extinguishers to put the fire out. Dave is right, the yellow packer car that was my interem replacement for Huey also had a stock tank. However this winter, I did have installed a fuel cell (15 gallon) into Huey so that we can run about 2 hours on a tank in endurance racing. The stock tank will only do 1hr 45 mn. I did it to be competitive in the Summit 12 hour where other ITA cars were doing fuel cells and running over 2.5 hours between driver changes.

As others indicated, a fuel cell is major surgery and major $ and if it were not for endurance racing, I can't see a justification for sprint racing. I am running a single external pump setup and don't know for sure that we will get full benefit of the 15 gallon capacity. If anybody has experience with a cell and a single pickup or has a "sure fire" setup to get the full capacity, I would appreciate a any comments.
If you want to reply direct to me, send to [email protected]

regards
bob roth

Originally posted by volante:
I am not sure if B.Roth has fuel cell or not--I want to say no.I ran a the long Gingerman race in his car and I am sure it was the stock tank.Dick--call John Grimmer--Jay Lovett put one in the car he (John)got from him.You can get Grimmer's number from the Council phone book.
Good luck at Midwest Council this year guy's--we will not be doing many Council race's this year.

Dave

Mike Dunn
01-28-2002, 11:05 AM
You are getting 1hr 45min on 1 tank of gas in a ITA CRX?? If so, how? I can only get about 55-65 minutes at Daytona or Sebring Long. I would like to know how. All the other CRX's down here only get about the same unless it was an ex-firehawk car, then I believe they might get 1hr 20min max. I went almost an entire enduro at Sebring but that was with about 7 laps of full course yellow. I am selling my CRX but would like to give this info to the next guy who buys it.

Thanks--
Mike

volante
01-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Up here in the midwest where the air is a little cleaner than that air down your way us Honda's can go about hour and 20 or hour 30.I have done a hour and 20 race with not quite 2 gallon's left.(just kidding about the air comment)Depend's on the trac,but Bob Roth is about right.My car get's about 12 to 14 mile's per gallon--Bob's car run's about the same.(Bob's is a ex-firehawk car).Not sure why you guy's run so short on gas.

Is your car still for sale?and where are you located.

I am going to the 24 hour's of Daytona--anyone else.

Call me soon Bob--Let me know what your plan's are this year.We will only do Road America with Mid western Council and the 6 hour if it work's out with everyone.

We are gonna do mostly SCCA this year--and try not to hurt myself so we can make the ARRC

Dave

plank
01-29-2002, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your information. I think we are going to do a 20 gallon aluminum cell, assuming we can get it to fit so we can stay out on the enduros. Put five gallons in it for a sprint race.

Dave see you at Road America this year, but I will be driving the F ford. I will not do very much sprint racing in the Honda but will go to the ARRC for the experience. The Gman 6 hour is 10 hours this year, last I heard. I am still trying to educate Kalamazoo into event marketing and trying to round up a sponsor for the labor day weekend. We may have prize money, but I am not holding my breath, we are not very progressive here in KZOO. If we do we should draw a much larger field and have lots of spectators.

Dick Plank

Mike Dunn
01-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Yes it is for sale. I just put it up for sale. I have to clean the interior and gather up all the spares so I can make a list of them. I am here in Orlando. Central Florida Region is my home area. I will be at the Grand-Am Race on Friday in Daytona watching.

The comment about the 20 gallon cell. Did you check the rule book about the size that you can upgrade to. I thought you could only put in a cell that is only about 3 gallons more than the stock tank which would be 14-15 gallons. Check it out, unless they have changed the rules.

Good Luck!!
ps. Hey, the air down here does suck.

volante
01-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Hi Dick,
I will look you up in August at R.A.--and if not there we will see you in Atlanta,I hope your honda is turning out well for you guy's.

Dave

And as for the 24 hour's I will be the pasty white guy with frost melting off my a$$.

Any idea what you might need for your crx?

Gord Galloway
03-04-2002, 09:03 PM
My 89 CRX has a 15 gallon Fuel safe procell. It is mounted in the spare tire well (well is slightly cut out) The pump is a factory pump mounted to the pick-up plate. There is a bulkhead built out of aluminum around the cell and rear cargo area. Works ok except at RCS in Calgary, Ab, Canada can only go about 45 min before bad fuel starvation starts occuring. If you need any other info e-mail me.

crxy
05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Gord. Saw your post from a few years back. When you and I and Carlos ran in the 4 hour Seattle enduro this spring (2006) my 1988 CRX easily ran 60 minutes? right? Back here in Mission ( shorter tighter track) we could only do 50 min. I am trying to find info on different years of models, to see if one tank is bigger than the one I have. I really do not want the hassle and expense of installing a fuel cell. My buddy thought maybe a sedan might work. No info can conclusively tell me what if any model might work. I guess maybe I will spend a day at the local Pick a Part, and see which tanks will fit, and if they are any larger in capacity. This refuelling during our pit stops is a real pain.