PDA

View Full Version : New to IT and starting out with a 90 DX HB

HeelToe
12-21-2001, 11:43 AM
Edit: Should have mentioned in the title: CIVIC DX HB, not CRX DX.

OK... I'm a bimmer guy, but have owned a Prelude SH and my wife owns an Integra GSR/4.

I currently do a few driver's events per year in my 97 M3/4, and am getting to the point that I want to work on the fast line, not the somewhat fast, safe line. I'm looking to find a car for immediate use in RallyCross, a couple months down the road, a cage, and then use at driver's events and racing schools. I'd like it to have potential in some IT class.

One of my neighbors has a 90 DX HB that I can probably get for $300 or so. It needs a head gasket job. I'm planning on doing that, port/polish, home depot intake, and a larger exhaust to begin with.

What potential does this car have? It's sounding like my area (SouthEast) has classed this car in ITA. Is it competitive there? Where can I go to find out the particulars of how I may modify the car so I don't do something illegal for IT?

Thanks for any help!

-matt

------------------
--
97 Dakar M3/4, sharked, xbraced

[This message has been edited by HeelToe (edited December 21, 2001).]

Knestis
12-21-2001, 02:03 PM
Sounds like we need to talk...

I am looking at a very similar option for after I finish my (last) degree here at "The University" (the one in Charlottesville) next fall. First note that I don't think a region or division can officially list a car in an IT class (anyone?) so be careful about that. I understand that the 92-95 DX has been approved for ITA but official notice and specs have not been published. If this is the case (and if it comes in at at a reasonable weight) I think that this will be my choice (I'm partial to the Coupe) for a multipurpose IT/hillclimb/ECHC/rallycross toy. Consensus is that it MIGHT be reasonably competitive (again, if someone doesn't decide that it has to weight 2500#).

Regardless of which way you go, you should order a copy of the new club racing GCR (rule book) from the SCCA - they should be out shortly. It will give you a pile of useful information.

Let me know (here or by e-mail at [email protected]) how your plans progress...

Kirk

HeelToe
12-21-2001, 02:26 PM
I'm guessing you read my homepage based on your choice of words to describe hoo-town. :)

I guess my goal is to get into club racing. I'm not very interested in the open wheel stuff mainly because of it's higher potential for injury, so IT seems like a good place.

That said, for now I am content to autocross and go to driver's events. I'd like to be able to push it more on the track, and am not comfortable going that close to the edge in my daily driver.

The appearance of this Civic DX HB with the blown head gasket is great timing. I want to start making moves towards club racing next year. This includes scca racing schools (high $ to seat time ratio), and maybe a race or two at the end of the season or early '03. I think I'll probably buy the Civic, fix the head gasket and do the upgrades mentioned, keeping the stock parts, and hope it will be a cheap entry into IT later on. I do have a few things I want to do with it prior to IT.

-matt

[This message has been edited by HeelToe (edited December 21, 2001).]

eh_tony!!!
12-21-2001, 03:29 PM
I checked the Toyota.shultz website and it says that the 90 civic is not classified. Fastrack does not list it either. You could be sure, thought, that it will be in ITA. 1.6l 16 valve - weight 2200+change. Same engine type as the Corolla/MR2 and similar (if not less) weight. This means that you are starting down some HP Vs the Si's which are in the same class. Suggestion.. If you want a Honda, find a Civic or CRX Si.

Knestis
12-22-2001, 10:27 AM
I hadn't checked until this morning but it does look like the '90 DX has ten fewer hp than the next generation DXs. It might not be such a great answer - it is OK to not need to step into the ultimate car in any class but that generation of Civic is probably going to be a built-in disappointment. This is particularly the case since it is not listed, HOWEVER if it were to be listed in ITB, you would have something there.

Let me know if you are headed to C'ville - we can have a beverage and compare notes.

Kirk

JohnW
12-22-2001, 08:19 PM
slow down........ don't get talked out of that DX yet. If you are not set on a 'series' yet consider NASA's Honda-challenge. They are in your area and have your DX properly placed. I would guess in H5 or H6. You wouldn't be forced to build an Si to be competitive.

I think many consider the SCCA as the only 'Improved Touring' racing but they are not the only game in town. The DX in the Nasa series maybe the hot ticket!

Look into it!

lb2
12-24-2001, 01:33 PM
JohnW are you by any chance John Wilding????

Louis B.

JohnW
12-24-2001, 07:55 PM
Louis B........

Sorry this is JohnW from New Jersey. Too many John's around.

Congrats and Great finish at the 01 ARRC, I enjoyed every minute!

lb2
12-26-2001, 10:19 PM
John, thank you and yes we had fun this year and I enjoyed it, it was a nice and clean race, by the way I am trying to sell my car if you know any one intersted, I can be reached at [email protected]

Louis Boustani