PDA

View Full Version : camber in 88 crx

Chris Sawatsky
12-06-2001, 03:43 PM
I'm looking to dial in some camber on my crx, and wondering what kind of camber kits are recommended for the crx. I know there is adjustable rear upper control arms, but I can't find adjustable front upper control arms, except for Cusco and Vision units that are only available in Japan.
Are concentric bushings any good?
What are recommended camber settings?

Thanks...

Jon Nelson
12-06-2001, 04:51 PM
I'd like to know, too, especially with all this talk about spherical bearings/modfiying control arms.

I slotted my upper controls arms, but I don't know that it would pass tech at an SCCA event.

J

Chris Sawatsky
12-10-2001, 12:22 PM
I guess everyone is driving around with negative camber, then...

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 01:22 PM
You've probably got about one and a half degrees in the front on your car. I ended up with around two and three-eights at the end of last season, it did make a difference.

Funny, no-one wants to talk about it, huh? I wonder how they all do it? I asked a guy (King motorsports associated, I think) at Road America, once, and he shooed me away from his car, saying, "we found a way.."

Chris Sawatsky
12-10-2001, 01:48 PM
I don't have my car to look at right now, but do you think it would be possible to somehow set up something like a camber plate, where there is slots running perpendicular to the car, allowing the UCA upper mounting points to be moved inward and outward to adjust camber? This would not change the control arm itself, and the rules state that camber plates can be used. Would changing the upper mounting point of the UCA affect anything else, maybe caster?
What do you think of this idea? Maybe there isn't even room in the wheel well to slot the mount points, who knows

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:09 PM
what is your ride hight if it is 22.5" fender lip to ground you should have 2.75 to 3.0 degrees neg camber the higher your car the less camber if you don't have that much your upright is bent use the eccentrics to adjust they work well

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 02:14 PM
The way the "body" is re-inforced at the UCA mount, it definitely precludes any sort of slotting at the bolts. That's the problem. That said, any of the commonly availiable camber "correction" kits accomplish exactly what you say, but in a way that's diffucult to explain.

I didn't buy one of these kits because they are overpriced, in my opinion. Slotting the holes in the upper arm works, doesn't cost anything, and meets the intent of the rules, if not the exact wording. Same for camber correction kits.

The exact wording of the WCMA rules is a little strange, because REAR suspension holes can be slotted for camber adjustment, in the case of independant rear suspension.

Oh, BTW, Showroom stock racers have been known to "bend", accidentally, of course, the hub carrier..... with an oxy/acetylene torch.... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/redface.gif)

Jon

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 02:29 PM
OK, I checked my GCR, the wording is the same as WCMA....

"On other forms of suspension, camber adjustment may be acheived by the use of shims and/or eccenric bushings."

You could get into some pretty long arguments over this one, get out the dictionaries and battle about the definition of eccentric bushings, cause the commonly availiable adjustment kits are not actually eccentric. Same goes for slotting holes in the control arm.

I'd REALLY like to hear how the font runners are doing this.... ANYONE?

Of course, you could slot the holes, and not mention it. It's REALLY hard to see.

Jon

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:33 PM
mr nelson could you explain how its legal to slot the upper a arms the IT rules seem pretty clear on this

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 02:40 PM
It's NOT!!!! According to the way the rules are written... but then, niether are the commonly availiable camber correction kits, ie Ingalls.

So, what IS legal? How does everyone do it?

Jon

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:40 PM
mr nelson when i said use the eccentrics i was talking about specialty products eccentic bushing not slotted eccentrics they make and like i said earlier ride hight is very important

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:43 PM
mr nelson what is your ride height

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 02:45 PM
Concerning ride height, unless you have a very smooth track to run at (not like the midwest tracks), if you lower your car enough to get near the minimum allowed ride height, you will be lacking suspension travel, especially with Hondas.

My car is about 3/4" higher than the legal minumum (5 inches), with 205/55-14 Kuhmo's, and I got about 1.5 deg neg camber before I slotted the holes (highly illegal, BTW, but I wasn't running SCCA).

Of course, there's the option of shortened struts....$$$$$

JOn

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:49 PM
you need to lower your shocks 1" in the saddle don't use the stock divit on the shock

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 02:56 PM
Good idea!! I did this in a different way, I added about 3/4" to the upper shock mount, to increase travel by basically moving the bump stop UP in relation to the body. I THINK this is legal.

Still leaves confusion with the camber....

B90278
12-10-2001, 02:58 PM
mr nelson call me 310-370-0950 bernardo

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 03:05 PM
What about? I think we're on the same page, but I still want to hear from others about the whole camber thing.

I SUPPOSE it would be possible to make some truly eccentric bushings, fit them to the stock pieces, etc. but of course it's a slippery slope to slide, especially if you've been following the whole spherical bearing argument going on elsewhere on the forum.

So, who's got eccentric, legal, %100 comp board usa approved bushing kits for sale?

j

B90278
12-10-2001, 03:09 PM
i'm unclear on your spacer placement you may have lost camber with it i'll get you the part # of legal bushes

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 03:13 PM
My solution is the same as yours, it's just being done at the other end of the shock assembly. No effect on the camber.

If you like, you could E-mail he manufacturer and part # of these bushings.

[email protected]

Thanks

Jon

B90278
12-10-2001, 03:17 PM
mr nelson part specialty products front part #84700 rear part #84580 call the PROGRESS GROUP 1-800-905-6687

B90278
12-10-2001, 03:20 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOUR GETTING TRAVEL AT THE TOP

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 03:26 PM
I lengthened the upper shock mount, there is an upside down "cup" that the bumstop sits in, I made it deeper, by cutting the shock mount, added a peice of tubing, and welded it up. That way, I get more travel before the strut hits the bumpstop. It also, of course, reduces droop travel, by an equal amount, which might be considered an advantage.

Jon

B90278
12-10-2001, 03:36 PM
YOU NEED TO LOWER YOUR CAR THE CAMBER GAIN INCREASES VERY FAST FROM 22.75" TO 22.25" YOU'LL SEE

Jon Nelson
12-10-2001, 03:52 PM
Ok, Chris, back to you...... maybe once you lower your car, you'll be a little better off in the Camber department. Take to heart the suggestion of dropping the strut in the fork at the front, this WILL help, especially at Gimpli.

You might want to start a thread on spring rates and sway bar sizes!!!!

Jon

Chris Sawatsky
12-10-2001, 04:59 PM
wow this thread exploded rather quickly.
Mr Nelson, I will see how much of a drop the coilovers will give me over the neuspeed race springs.
Still, there has to be an easy way to adjust camber. Plus I want more negative camber in the back so my tires don't rub as much... heh.
I think a thread on spring rates/sway bars is in order here.