PDA

View Full Version : 86 CRX, severe lack of power at end of 30 min. session

RacingRosey
10-19-2001, 10:52 PM
I have an 86 CRX Si, with a 87 integra motor. I just had my 3rd drivers school, at VIR. My car runs absolutely great, until late into the 30 mintue session, then while accelerating above 5500 the car hesitates and looses power, change a gear and it's fine for a little while longer and soon enough It'll do it again. Water temp stays pretty much around the 190-200 mark, oil temp runs a little more than 230.

I'm getting ready to replace the plugs/wires/distribtor/rotorbutton/fuel filter before my next event at Summit Point next month.

Any Ideas? One person said something about vapor lock -- the gas in the lines acutally getting so hot it turns into gas - literally.

Thanks for the help!!!

-Eric

Dom Pirinchinci
10-20-2001, 02:31 PM
That's an accurate description of vapor lock, but it usually happens while the car is sitting. Try getting some of that orange rubber hose with the white insulation- I' can't think of the brand name off the top of my head. It's an awesome insulator, and it costs ~$15 a foot, but it works. Run that over the fuel line where it gets close to hot things (header, etc). We have similar problems with our Civic, but it's in cornering, not straight line acceleration. We're swapping to a cell next year in hopes of fixing our woes. Good luck!

RacingRosey
10-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the help! I went through the normal tune-up parts today, and found that the previous owner was actually running 1 step HOTTER plug. Not sure why though. I put the correct ones back in. It idles much better on start up now, before it would go as high as 2800 rpm, now it's a much better 1500! The insulator on the old plugs had a nice burnt mark from the base of the insulator up a litle over 1/4 inch on each plug, all the way around it.

I'm going to try the insulator on the gas lines as well!!

Thanks again!

Dom Pirinchinci
10-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Good idea on the plugs- keep an eye on them during the season. We run one step colder than stock in our Honda, and they look better.

RacingRosey
12-06-2001, 05:00 PM
Incase anybody else wonder's into this problem. It ended up being the fuel pump! I changed it out during my summit point event, and voila! no more problems!

-Eric