PDA

View Full Version : CRX brake clarification

B Breon
11-16-2001, 12:15 PM
Came upon a swinging deal for rear discs. Have drums now on my 88, work fine, but am getting tired of adjusting them. So, here is my question. I have 88 front calipers, 90 rear calipers, an 88 (13/16th's) and a 90 (7/8th's) master cylinder and an 88 prop valve. Anyone care to share the best combination. Should I get 90 front calipers and a 90 prop valve to complete the package or will my 88 front calipers and prop work?
Will 90 calipers fit on 88 uprights. I am assuming I want to use the 90 master cylinder.

------------------
Brent Breon
Cendiv ITA #26
www.360racing.com

il8apex
11-25-2001, 12:44 PM
Brent-

Did you find an answer to your question yet?

Here's my best shot: Keep what you have, except for the Prop. valve. You'll need the '90-'91 valve to use the rear discs along with the '90 Master Cylinder. The front calipers should interchange, so keep your '88's unless you find cheap spares.

A couple of parts resources for disc swaps:
http://www.thepartstrader.com
http://www.honda-tech.com
http://www.fastbrakes.com

Hope this helps!

-Tom

------------------
Tom Southworth

'93 Honda Civic
Currently prepping for IT Roadrace, CSP AutoX
Sponsors wanted!

il8apex
11-25-2001, 12:52 PM
Y'know, now that I think about this a little, would it make any sense to keep the '88 Master Cylinder to gain a little bit extra mechanical advantage? The smaller MC will provide more leverage when you step on the pedal. Of course, there may be other drawbacks (like the unlikely situation that you develop a leak during a race and you need all the volume you can get) but this setup might be a "low braking effort" setup. Hmmm...

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

-T

------------------
Tom Southworth

'89 Honda CRX Si
Bone stock.

'93 Honda Civic
Currently prepping for IT Roadrace, CSP AutoX

Sponsors wanted!

Bob Roth
11-26-2001, 01:10 AM
For what its worth, a buddy tried a 91 front and rear disk setup with a 88 master cyl. the brake peddle was very low. It was fixed with the right (91)master cyl. As for the proportioning valve, I have had two 88 crx's with the updated 91 brakes and the original 88 proportioning valves. I was told that there is no need to replace them. As such, I have run the drum ('88) proportioning valves and my experience has been that the brakes are about perfect. I would be interested to hear if anybody has seen an on track advantage in retrofitting the '91 proportioning valve.

Originally posted by il8apex:
Y'know, now that I think about this a little, would it make any sense to keep the '88 Master Cylinder to gain a little bit extra mechanical advantage? The smaller MC will provide more leverage when you step on the pedal. Of course, there may be other drawbacks (like the unlikely situation that you develop a leak during a race and you need all the volume you can get) but this setup might be a "low braking effort" setup. Hmmm...

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

-T