PDA

View Full Version : 89 CRX Si ignition module ?

BVNitta
11-11-2001, 10:10 PM
Guys:
Non-racing related question but one for the Honda experts. My girlfriend's CRX Si is eating ignition modules. It's gone through 3 already in the last 4 years. The first time it happened I thought OK the car has 160,000 miles on it, time for one to go. I bought a cheap aftermarket one, put it in, car ran fine, then it happened again. I thought OK bad aftermarket module and replaced it with a Honda one. Car ran fine, now it's giving problems again - usual stuff, cuts out, hard to start, etc. (Car has new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, coil, fuel filter.) Any idea why the ignition module should be going on such a frequent basis ?

Ob-racing-comment: The car is in such good shape that I'm half planning to buy it off her and build an ITA car (as we are all agreed this is THE car to have in ITA, yes ?). But I'm still having fun with my ITB Opel.

Cheers,

BVNitta

joeg
11-12-2001, 08:52 AM
My guess is that you have one or more bad grounds in the wiring. You will have to look all over the car; clean them up and refasten.

With 160,000 miles, how is the rust situation?

Good luck.

BVNitta
11-12-2001, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by joeg:
My guess is that you have one or more bad grounds in the wiring. You will have to look all over the car; clean them up and refasten.

Sounds possible. I never checked the grounds. Something else I seem to remember hearing is if you have a bad battery the ignition module could go... Dont know if this makes sense. Any other guesses ? (Currently gf is visiting her folks and called to say the car's acting up, so I dont have access to the car till Wednesday).

With 160,000 miles, how is the rust situation?

Yeah..Some rust especially around the fender lips (front and rear), nothing major.

Good luck.

Cheers,

BVN