PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads, 1st Gen CRX

RacingRosey
10-19-2001, 10:58 PM
I went with Carbotech Panther Plus pads for my 3 day CarGuys event at VIR North Course. They were completely gone after the weekend. I figure it was about 5.5 hours of total track time. They were put on the car 2 days before the event, and did go through the proper bed-in procedure.

They worked great! But at 125 dolla a set, I'm looking for other options! Any opinions on EBC Reds or others?

Thanks!

-Eric

ITC Racer
10-30-2001, 02:59 PM
Try Hawk Blues- I run these and have great luck at Blackhawk Farms, RA and G-man. I generally get around 4 to 5 events on one set although they are custom made through Carbotech for the 85 CRX.

Devin

RacingRosey
10-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Do you have any brake ducting to get that kind of wear out of them? I'll be running summit point next weekend. And am considering just getting a couple sets of Axxis Metal Masters through work for 30 a set. But The only other option I have is to do what you said and go with the Hawk Blues.

Tom Blaney
10-30-2001, 05:02 PM
I think it would be wise to put on as much brake ducting as you can. I have found that heat seems to be the killer with blue's. Use at least 2.5 " and if you don't have fog light holes route it next to the radiator there are two slots that can be used.

nlevine
10-31-2001, 09:15 PM
I run the Carbotech Blues on my 1st Gen Si. With no ducting I can get 5+ events on a set of pads (also have 27mm bars and Koni double adjustables to manage weight transfer, and am running 215/50-13 tires). Also using the Carbotech rear shoes with the similar compund pad, and all I've done is look at them the last two seasons (aren't they just there to set pedal height anyway?). Been running at NHIS and Lime Rock...

-noam

RacingRosey
10-31-2001, 11:09 PM
I'm hearing great things from all of you on the Blues. My one question is what kind of hour figure are you getting out of them? 1 track weekend for me is usually 5 hours.

Thanks!

downingracing
11-01-2001, 08:34 AM
I ran the Carbotech Panther Plus pads on my SSC Civic EX and ran then for almost the entire season. (5 weekends - 4 doubles and one single) The pads still have 60-70% life left! The rotors are another story... Are you running OE rotors?

I tried the EBC pads, Green, and they lasted two sessions. (Qual and the race) They were GREAT for the practice, but went away during the race.

My car is Showroom Stock... Factory everything. I didn't think the Carbotechs would last as long as they did. (I have a new backup set that I was sure I would need) and with shipping, they run me $150.00 per set.

Good luck to you!

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

downingracing
11-01-2001, 08:41 AM
One question: Where do you get your Carbotech pads from?

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

[This message has been edited by downingracing (edited November 01, 2001).]

RacingRosey
11-01-2001, 11:28 AM
I get them from the one and only Larry! My bendix rotors held up really well with the panther plus pads, didn't even get warpped!

I think I'm going to give Axxis Metal Masters a try at Summit Point next weekend. I can get them for 28 a set after my discount from work -- I'll carry 2 sets with me. even If I go through 2 sets that's only 60 bucks as compared to 125!

Since it will not ever be a legal scca car -- unless I take out the integra motor -- I'll probably do the fast brakes integra brake upgrade as well as get a set of blues for next year.

ITC Racer
11-05-2001, 02:28 PM
I do run brake ducting on my CRX or risk welding the pad backing plate to my caliper piston. I bought a duct that I have installed in the bottom lip of the front spoiler and then run the 3" ducting to the center, back side of the rotor to get the best use of the air. Works pretty well except for in the pits and loading the car due to the reduced turning clearance to not crush the ducts.

I am told that Road America and Blackhawk farms are two of the toughest tracks on brakes in the country. I generally get 5 to 6 races on a set which is probably ~6.5 to 8 hours on a set of blues.

Good luck,
Devin

EDP
11-05-2001, 04:43 PM
Carbotecheng.com