PDA

View Full Version : Sump for 88-91 CRX

plank
10-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Now with the relaxed rules on making mods to the ECU, we will be able to run much higher RPM's. Anyone have a source for a baffled sump for this car? Mugen has one for newer models, but I have not found one for the 88-91 cars. Anyone think it is overkill?

REP

B Breon
10-29-2001, 12:23 PM
Moroso has a 5 or 6 qt oversized aluminum oil pan with baffling and a sump area away from the crank to save windage losses. You are looking about $450 for the pan and extended oil pickup. I saw one on the Moser/King Motorsports cars last year at the ARRC.

plank
10-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Brent,

Thanks, finally found a place last night with the moroso pan at 362 plus 47 for the pickup

www.optauto.com (http://www.optauto.com)

Apparently this is the only one can't get anyone else to respond if they have one. Looks like it will do the job and has 1/2" bungs for oil temps etc.

Dick

Tom Blaney
10-29-2001, 01:34 PM
I am curious, why not run an accusump instead? It allows you to carry more oil, and is relatively simple. We used it on a GT5 Civic and I am using it on my ITA CRX.

MoserRacing
10-29-2001, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
I am curious, why not run an accusump instead? It allows you to carry more oil, and is relatively simple. We used it on a GT5 Civic and I am using it on my ITA CRX.

Because Tom, you are not using the oil pan exclusively for more oil capacity, you are using it to scrape oil off of the crank, which is why you buy an oil pan with a windage tray, it rids the crank of excess rotational mass (oil).

Tom Blaney
10-30-2001, 10:10 AM
I understand that, but how much do you think you are losing? Is there dollar justification for a $450 pan versus 1 or 2 hp?

Looking at the stock pan, a simple scraper plate could be installed for a few bucks. No?

plank
10-30-2001, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys great discussion for the uninitiated such as me. What I am mostly worried about is spinning bearings and what not in high speed long corners due to oil starvation. Especially since we can now turn a lot more revs. Secondarily the issue of doing this economically for the horsepower usage issue. Last day or two read everything I could on the accusump. Seems like it will do the job re making sure we don't run out of oil where and when we most need it. For my car being mainly an enduro car I think it will do the job, but putting in a new oil pan is a hell of a lot easier, about the same price by the time you add all the items you need to buy to put the accusump in and as Mr. Moser notes, may be more economical from the HP perspective. As they say in my field the answer is an interesting empirical question that we probably can't answer very easily. As far as putting in an inexpensive windage tray, one could design one to save money, but one note I was reading justifying buying a new pan is you get the benefit of some already done engineering that you know works.
I would hate to blow and expensive engine if we did not get it right the first time.

Thanks much guys for the info. I will pass this around and discuss with the rest of the guys building the car.

Dick

joeg
10-30-2001, 12:30 PM
I think you are better off with the accusump as well as a stock pan incorporating baffling. That solves oil starvation. A two quart system with all the necessary hardware should be under $275, assuming you don't opt for the electric valve set-up.

Horsepower increases come from a scraper and a windage tray which help stop the oil from "roping" around the crank at high RPM(s). I have no idea what these cost (or availability) for your application.

MoserRacing
10-30-2001, 12:51 PM
I understand that, but how much do you think you are losing? Is there dollar justification for a $450 pan versus 1 or 2 hp?

Looking at the stock pan, a simple scraper plate could be installed for a few bucks. No?

Tom,
Yes, you could design a simple scraper plate, will it work? After you spend all the time designing the scraper plate to fit in a stock pan, you are left with a questionable scraper, plus no increase in oil capacity. Now you have to buy a $300 Accusump system. My time to design and fabricate the scaper system myself is worth more than $150 for a scraper that may or may not work well. So yes, it is worth the $450 to buy a Moroso oil pan with windage tray.

Tom Blaney
10-30-2001, 01:16 PM
I guess this is why the same car comes in different colors. We both solved the problem in two different ways. Thanks for the comments. See you ar ARRC?

Tom Blaney

MoserRacing
10-30-2001, 01:51 PM
I guess this is why the same car comes in different colors. We both solved the problem in two different ways. Thanks for the comments. See you ar ARRC?

Tom Blaney

Tom,
You are right, both ways could work...
I'll see you at the ARRC, should be a great weekend, let's forget about Lime Rock and just have some fun battling... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Joe Moser

Tom Blaney
10-30-2001, 02:16 PM
Fair enough. As a matter of fact after the adrenelin wore off, I figured you were just a tough a racer as I am. Except for the repair bill it was actually fun. I spent too many years racing in GT classes where there were 3 cars in the class, and we could predict which of us would win at which tracks.

I ran Road Atlanta a number of times at the Runoff's I will have to get familiar with the new dip. I think the honda's can win this if we team draft no?
Tom

volante
11-02-2001, 12:03 AM
Richard,are you and your students building a crx?Shame on you,got tired of the rx7?

Volante