PDA

View Full Version : brake cooling on a 91 CRX

plank
10-18-2001, 08:35 AM
Building a 91 CRX to ITA. How do you cool the brakes? In first gen mazda rx7's Mazdacomp sells a front brake attachment that gets air down to the center of the front brakes and really does a heck of a job. Have not seen anything available that does that. Is this kind of brake cooling hat available? Do you cool the back brakes?

Dick Plank

lb2
10-18-2001, 09:31 AM
I made my own brake attachement out of a small round exhaust piece and attached it to the bottom 17mm bolt that goes to the caliper, I run 2 ducts to each caliper since we mainly run at Rd Atlanta and it is hard on brake and I run Motul 600 and make sure bleed your brake after each session that is the key to good brakes. I run also Carbotech pads and shoes and you can get them from Laryy Narcus at Carbotech or from OPM Motorsport.
I don't run any rear duct but if you ave drum make sure to dril the rear area of the drum and make about 15 hole with a small bit to let the air out of the drum.
Good luck and remember to bleed after each seesion.
Louis Boustani
ITA 2 CRX SI

tderonne
10-18-2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by lb2:
I don't run any rear duct but if you ave drum make sure to dril the rear area of the drum and make about 15 hole with a small bit to let the air out of the drum.

Since when is that legal?

kgobey
10-18-2001, 03:06 PM
Dick,

Dave Knaack is a fabricator as well as owning Wisconsin's largest import car recycle yard... He most likely has the ability to make anything your guys can't.

Kieran

USGUYS
10-18-2001, 06:30 PM
I run two ducts. One is a little tricky to build. I leave the stock front backing plate in place. I cut a small oval hole at the rear of the upright so that any air going into the hole is directed in the center of the rotor. A piece of exhaust tubing, about 4"long is cut and bent to fit over the hole. This time consuming to get the fit and not get as little leakage as possible. A 2" hose is as large as you can get. This hose is run to the front grill area. The second hose uses a 3" aluminum dryer duct that runs from the front valance to a point just a ahead of the inside edge of the tire. There is then a scoop that is attached to the caliper like some 911s had. There is no hose attached to the caliper. I run Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid. This ducting seems to work well and we think that it helps the hub life.
Kieran, Since I am in Wisconsin where do I find Dick Knaack?

------------------
TONY MACHI
CRX WHITE 96
USGUYS RACING TEAM
MILWAUKEE REGION

kgobey
10-18-2001, 06:51 PM
Dave Knaack is the owner of A1 Imports in Neenah Wisconsin, up'dere by Greenbay 'eh..

He's a great guy, and is a member of the Milwaukee SCCA Region, runs an ITDC Festiva.

Nice guy, very firendly.. and I have lost his number - I bet Dick Plank actually has his info..

K

plank
10-19-2001, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Tony you can reach Dave Knaak at [email protected]. I will see him tomorrow at the MWest Council long race and have emailed him also. He put the cage in my Mazda and will hopefully also do it for the Honda.

Dick Plank

lb2
10-22-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by tderonne:
Since when is that legal?

FROM THE RULE BOOK : "BACKING PLATE CAN BE VENTILLATED"
YOU CAN FIND OUT IF IT LEGAL OR NOT BY SIMPLY PAYING THE FEE AND PROTESTING ME NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN ATLANTA.
LOUIS BOUSTANI
ITA CRX 2

tderonne
10-22-2001, 02:26 PM
I have no intention of protesting, I was just asking, lighten up.
I was remembering that brake drums can't be ventilated, backing plates are indeed open.

Originally posted by lb2:

FROM THE RULE BOOK : "BACKING PLATE CAN BE VENTILLATED"
YOU CAN FIND OUT IF IT LEGAL OR NOT BY SIMPLY PAYING THE FEE AND PROTESTING ME NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN ATLANTA.
LOUIS BOUSTANI
ITA CRX 2

[This message has been edited by tderonne (edited October 22, 2001).]