PDA

View Full Version : ITA CRX prep questions

cjfinkle
10-07-2001, 12:29 AM
Well, I ordered my General Competition rulebook a few days ago, but i am getting impatient. I want to get my car ready! As far as motor/transmission modifictions, what can I do to my 88 CRX Si for ITA racing? I know there is balancing/blueprinting but what else can I do? My suspension and cage are done. Now I'm onto the motor part.

Knestis
10-07-2001, 12:57 PM
The short answer is "not much", where the engine is concerned. You may add a header!

Frankly (opinion alert) the return on investment for engine modifications ($$) is pretty darned slim when compared to (a) track time and practice and (B) tires. If you are new to this deal, spend you money running autocrosses with the stock engine rather than improving it.

Best wishes with the project!

Kirk

Chris Wire
10-07-2001, 02:53 PM
In addition to a header, I would recommend a performance air intake of some sort. The Hondas benefit from a "speed density" type of EFI system, which basically means no air flow meter. That means that the Hondas, and others like them, are free to replace the intake system all the way to the throttle body. The Hondas respond very well to this modification. Good luck.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7

cjfinkle
10-07-2001, 03:49 PM
so i am a little confused on what people can run. I see profiles of ITA CRX's for sale and alot of them have overbored motors, race prepped heads, etc. Is this legal? It just seems as though most people tell me that there are basically no internal mods allowed, yet I see some people with rather extravagant mods. All I really want is the basic motor with a strong transmission and suspension.

what is everyones thoughts on Carrera race shocks as compared to Koni single and double adjustables?

il8apex
10-07-2001, 06:56 PM
CJ-

I'll try to give you a Cliff's Notes version of the GCR so that you can start budgeting. However, please do not take this as gospel and read your GCR thoroughly before proceeding... (See this link (http://forums.improvedtouring.com/it/Forum12/HTML/000139.html) for further explanation!)

Engine modifications allowed are:
[list]
Blueprinting and balancing ,no material removed except what is necessary to balance rotating parts and flatten head
0.040" overbore
Port matching, within 1" of mating surface
Note: Compression must not increase more than one half point!
[list]

Transmission modifications allowed are:
[list]
Differential may be replaced with different, no machining
Final drive may be changed
[list]

That's it! Intake is anything goes before the TB, exhaust is anything goes. Everything else must fall within the specs listed in the classification listing for your car or the factory's specifications in your service manual.

-Tom

------------------
Tom Southworth

'93 Honda Civic
Currently prepping for IT Roadrace, CSP AutoX
Sponsors wanted!

[This message has been edited by il8apex (edited October 07, 2001).]

Jon Nelson
10-09-2001, 10:02 AM
Is the compression increase allowed half a POINT, as in 9.1 to 9.15? Or is it 9.1 to 9.6?

Chris Wire
10-09-2001, 10:35 AM
One-half point would be .5 increase, or 9.1 to 9.6.

Having said that, most of the guys I see in the CRXs in the south are running stock, or near stock, motors. Most times the guy who can drive with a stock motor will be faster than the guy who can't with a built motor. If the engine is not already apart, and you believe that it is in good enough shape for competition, then do the bolt-ons discussed earlier and leave the internals as is. Use the additional money to get yourself up to speed with more seat time. Then maybe worry about your horsepower levels later on. Small bore cars rely as much on handling and momentum as much as they do ultimate horsepower. That theory will vary from track to track, but the basis for it is sound.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7

[This message has been edited by Chris Wire (edited October 09, 2001).]

NoRaceCarYet
10-09-2001, 02:55 PM
Remember the intent of the rule is to provide you as a car owner to rebuild a damaged engine to the condition of being "race worthy".. No real competitive advantage for doing this is implied..

though some do cheat, it is suprisingly uncomon.

cjfinkle
10-09-2001, 03:02 PM
thank you all very much for the replies. i appreciate the input.

Ron S
10-10-2001, 02:00 AM
While you get your feet wet you may not need the machining and rebuild of the engine, but you should ask this question when was the timing belt done? If the answer is I don't know, or a long time ago do the timing belt.
Note to self valves were not designed to cut reliefs into pistons.