PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Tire info for GTI

Bildon
07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I know this has been covered many times in the general forums but in case any VWs guys don't have good tire data and choose to run Kumhos... we just re-affirmed this weekend that the older Victoracers are considerably faster than the problematic Ecsta V700s.

We dropped 3 seconds per lap (at WGI long) after switching back to shaved, cycled Victoracers.

The 710's are inconsistent, short lived and slow due to poor grip at certain times which completely blows your confidence to push them hard.

The Victoracers are consistent, wear like iron and most importantly they allow you to run them as hard as you and the car are able because they don't surprise you at any time.

Anyone have any data on the NEW 710's on a VW?

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

joeg
07-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't have any input for VW, but my well worn Victoracers did quite well on a buddy's CRX this weekend at the Glen.

Thank God they still make them; I have a new set for intermediates.

madrabbit15
07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I have to say after this last weekends preview of the arrc at Road Atlanta, I am completely happy with the 710s. I love them. I thought they were way more consistant than the hoosiers or the toyos. While racing with Chuck and Scott, I feel that I was faster through the corners than they were and they were both on hoosiers. I ran the whole race flat out, and at no time did they give up or let me down.

Derek Ketchie
ITC

mgyip
07-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of tire life are you seeing from the new 710? I'm hearing that they're FAST but only for 3-4 heat cycles before they're either worn out, no longer sticky or a combination thereof. However I'm getting a bunch of heresay rather than live experience.

madrabbit15
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I think the tire have great tire life. I ran 2 practice sessions and an entire enduro and the front tires still had more than half the tread left and that was running at a sprint pace for the whole race. Just for a comparison, because I know most of you out there think thats normal, One full enduro race on hoosiers and they would be done for me. I am pretty rough on tires. I cant say enough about the new kumhos. The most heat cycles I have on one set so far is 4 and the 4th heat cyle was blazingly fast. I will update you guys in a few weeks after I put a few more heat cycles on them.

vwmann1
07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
OK, could you 710 guys tell us what cars these were on. I have a feeling the weight of the car has something to do with the opinion that people have. It seems they are better on lighter cars.

------------------
Doug Hillmann
VFC Engineering (http://www.vfc-engineering.com)

[This message has been edited by vwmann1 (edited July 25, 2005).]

madrabbit15
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
'82
Vw Scirocco 1.7
2110 lbs

Bildon
07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Guys, I'm sorry. Halfway through that I started to use "710" instead of "700".
The old 700s are the tires we don't like.

The new 710s (slicks) look more like Hoosiers and we have yet to run them more than a few laps.

So the 710 is the tire were looking for opinions on not the 700 which we have already written off.

- Bill

Bill Miller
07-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by madrabbit15:
I think the tire have great tire life. I ran 2 practice sessions and an entire enduro and the front tires still had more than half the tread left and that was running at a sprint pace for the whole race. Just for a comparison, because I know most of you out there think thats normal, One full enduro race on hoosiers and they would be done for me. I am pretty rough on tires. I cant say enough about the new kumhos. The most heat cycles I have on one set so far is 4 and the 4th heat cyle was blazingly fast. I will update you guys in a few weeks after I put a few more heat cycles on them.

Derek,

We ran Kirk's ITB A3 Golf at the 12 hrs of Summit Point on 8 Hoosiers. And there are 2-3 Regional weekends left in the tires (would be 4 if 2 of the tires hadn't been flat-spotted). I was _very_ impressed w/ the ability of the Hoosiers to hold up. Not to mention that Greg Amy ran the fastest race lap w/ < 15 min. to go. Oh, and those tires were stickers at the start of the race.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

madrabbit15
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Bill,

I all I can say in response to that is different drivers have different driving styles. If you had hoosiers last that long, the question everyone is gonna be asking is, How hard where you driving? My experience with the new hoosier as well as the others that I have talked to and race with, have had a very difference experience than you guys.

Derek

Bill Miller
07-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Derek,

I agree with you. Certainly, we realized that we had to make the tires last 12 hours. As far as driving styles, we had 4 different drivers in the car. As far as how hard it was pushed, I'm not sure lap times are the best indication, as the car does not have a race-built motor in it (Kirk can speak to this better than I can, for sure). IIRC, Greg said he felt that he had gotten about all he could out of the car (again, he can speak to this issue). Certainly, if the car is not up to near-record times, from an engine/suspension perspective, it's going to be easier on the tires.

Anyway, this discussion was about Kumhos, not Hoosiers. Sorry for the hijack.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Bildon
07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Highjacking is really frowned on by Homeland Security these days so...

Anyone have any data on the NEW 710's on a VW?

Chuck Davis
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
The question to you is about spring rates and camber. The 710's will allow you to use a bit less camber and slightly higher spring rates especially in the rear. (You're dealing with more grip) Dealing with a very basic type of suspension like the VW (I assume Golf) is pretty easy stuff. Try rethinking your set up including more caster.

Bildon
08-01-2005, 09:30 AM
>> You're dealing with more grip

Ahh that is what I'm getting at. Are we dealing with more?
Are the 710's a better tire than the Victoracers?

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

madrabbit15
08-15-2005, 11:02 PM
UPDATE

After a long hot weekend at kershaw the 710 did quite well. I think around the 5th-6th heat cycle they begin to fall of a little, but I got to tell you as hot as it was I thought they did quite well. I def think they are probably faster the first weekend, as I think the first weekend they are better than hoosiers. Thats right I said it :unsure: I think they are great tire and kershaw is extremely hard on tires anyway, probably harder than anywhere we run. Just for you guys wondering I would probably say the way I drive I could probably get 3 double weekends out of a set at a track like road atlanta, and probably less than two weekends at kershaw. But then again I am really hard on tires, A pair of front hoosier wouldnt last me a day if I was running to win at kershaw. These tires do seem to like less camber then either the toyos or the hoosiers.

Derek

DENNISC020
08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
where can you buy Kuhmo Tires , I know tire rack carries them.

shwah
08-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by DENNISC020@Aug 17 2005, 01:06 PM
where can you buy Kuhmo Tires , I know tire rack carries them.

Doesn&#39;t Vilven also carry them? Not too far from you...