PDA

View Full Version : Changing Rear Brakes

DENNISC020
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Morning
just bought my first ITB car, 82 Scirocco and was wanting to change to rear disc brakes . Rules aren't clear about this modification.

------------------
Dennis

itracer
07-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Unless the car came with it or it shares a spec line in the ITCS, you cannot change it.

Short answer: nope.

Welcome to the maddness. Where are you going to be racing?

~Jason

------------------
Jason
ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
VW Scirocco

DENNISC020
07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
I Live in Indy, not sure what region that puts me in. Just bought the car Sunday and haven't done alot of research yet! Should I have any concerns about the front hubs,I have heard that they break often.Where are you located.

sccaITA16v
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
you are correct - the front hubs are the achilles (sp?) heel of the A1 style VW's. I change hubs and bearings every season and always before an out of town event so theres no suprises away from home.

Good luck with the VW! Welcome to the ranks -

------------------
www.teamdriverswanted.com (http://www.teamdriverswanted.com)

zracre
07-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I raced an A1 GTI for a while and also found the front hubs to be a broblem if not changed out regularly...they are easy to find and not real expensive to keep spares around...generally i found the first sign of a failing hub to be no brakes...it pushes the brake pads in from the rotor deflection and you have to pump them...fast!!! as far as rears go...i did not find rear discs real neccesary as the drums, properly adjusted, are easy to deal with and reliable...you wouldnt gain much by changing them anyways...spend your money on stuff that will give you good legal gains. Good luck!!

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

itracer
07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Well you've come to the right place. Look in the archives for Hub related threads. Most people change the front hubs at the beginning of the season and they last fine. There are some good sources for equipment and advice.

My favorite is Shine Racing www.srsvw.com (http://www.srsvw.com)
But there are others. BSI is one of them.

Go to the track even before you race and befriend some other ITB VW folks. They can help you out.

Go over the car like you were building it yourself. Just because someone else thought it was done right, and/or legal, does not mean that it was.

Don't worry about the drum brakes, we don't use them much http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif Just stomp on the go pedal!

If you want to contact me offline itracer (at) gmail.com

------------------
Jason
ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
VW Scirocco

DENNISC020
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
two more questions if I may , front stress bars - if I read the rules correct we are allowed only one , either upper or lower . I have been looking at the eurosports 4 point lower stress bar,and their upper strut brace. Which one would be the best. And we have to use the stock rotors, no drilled or groved. Are Hawk pads a good choice for the track. Thanks for your help. If anybody needs any stock VW parts call me
800-968-3886 @ 7827.

------------------
Dennis
Indianapolis

zracre
07-06-2005, 02:00 PM
The lower brace does the most......

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

itracer
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
I am not convinced that the four point lower bar is legal on the 8v cars. Read the rules and make your own judgement. I personally would go with the two point Lower mount.

~Jason

[This message has been edited by itracer (edited July 06, 2005).]

racer_tim
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
BUT you can have a lower sway bar mount, that acts just like a stress bar.

I have both on the car, now and when it was an ITB car.

Change out the hubs every year. Take a set off, have it magniflux'd and have new bearings installed. They install your "spares" and put the new ones in the "spares" box. I travel with both side control arms, hubs, disks, 1/2 shafts, CV joints (inner) calipers, struts to each race. I can rebuild a corner @ the track, if needed.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited July 06, 2005).]

Bill Miller
07-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DENNISC020:
Morning
just bought my first ITB car, 82 Scirocco and was wanting to change to rear disc brakes . Rules aren't clear about this modification.

Uh, that's actually an ITC car. '82 was the first year of the Mk II Scirocco (same chassis as the Mk I, just different bodywork). The cars came w/ a 1.7 FI motor, solid 9.4" front rotors, rear drums, and a wide-ratio 5-spd trans. They also came w/ 13" wheels, but that doesn't matter w/ the recent rule change.

If the car has any GTI stuff on it (1.8 motor, vented front rotors, close-ratio trans) it's not a legal car, even in ITB. This is due to the VIN# rule, and the fact that there's a digit in the VIN that indicates what size motor (1.5/1.6/1.7 or 1.8) came in the car. Not to mention that the '82 never came w/ a 1.8 motor.

Silly rule, but that's the rule.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

DENNISC020
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
well crap ! it has a 1.8 not sure about trans. did I buy a car that can't be raced.

racer_tim
07-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Just say it's an '83

Unless you plan on going to the AARC, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to take out the NOS bottle. That would get most people's attention.

or convert it to Limited Prep G Production

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited July 06, 2005).]

DENNISC020
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
NOS - I DON'T HAVE NO STINKING NOS !

Bill Miller
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DENNISC020:
well crap ! it has a 1.8 not sure about trans. did I buy a car that can't be raced.

Not legally in IT (except ITE), in its current configuration.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608