PDA

View Full Version : Drive Flange Removal/Install

JLawton
02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I need to replace the oil seal on my 84 GTi. It looks like you need a speacial tool to remove the drive flange and one to reinstall. The removal tool looks like a gear puller?? I don't want to invest in a tool I hope never to use again (I know, never say never). Any ideas on how to do the job without the tools or making a device on my own????

Thanks!!

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

pfcs
02-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Jeff-you can make a simple tool out of 3/4" angle about 4" long. drill a 3/8 hole midway on one leg of it. Find a 10mm 1.5 stud about 4" long. Screw it partly into the hole in the middle of the drive flange. Stack stuff up on the stud so you can top it w/ a m10 1.5 nut which you tighten down to pull the flange in and relieve the pressure on the circlip which you now remove. Remove you spcl tool and pull the flange with any universal gear puller that fits, prying the flange off is usually very difficult to impossible. Take much care removing the seal from the green aluminum sheetmetal housing-you don't want to damage it-not good! When you remove the flange, you'll find a spring, a kind of stepped/flanged washer, and a bronze striated tapered ring which oftentimes is in pieces. If you have one handy, then replace it, but if not just put it back together around the stub axle (maybe use a little vaseline to locate it) and re-assemble the flange. Tap it on as far as possible, then pull it the rest of the way with the spcl tool. Dont forget to replace the rubberized blue or black plug which will prevent the CV joint from filling up with gearoil. Good luck.

------------------
phil hunt

JLawton
02-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Phil,
Thanks!! That's what I was looking for!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif The big part was what diameter bolt I would need. It should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks again!

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi