PDA

View Full Version : Rear Weight

Davis
12-25-2004, 01:33 PM
What would be considered a good rear weight percentage for an ITB rabbit?

------------------
#63 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
12-25-2004, 06:30 PM
I carry about 950 of my 2500 pounds on the rear wheels, on my MkIII GTI - for comparison purposes.

K

JeffYoung
12-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Kirk, how goes the offseason work on Pablo? Any serious improvements?

See you at VIR in March.

pfcs
12-25-2004, 07:14 PM
as much as possible

Knestis
12-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Pablo's getting gearbox goodies first, stuff that needs freshening second, and a datalogger third, I think.

I'm working on final drive options and you've (Jeff) discovered the value of a differential. I'll be making my final decision when I'm home after the holidays.

We need the regular maintenence of systems following the 13 hours. Actually, it was more than that, since we had an hour of practice and qualifying on Friday and did about 3 hours of running during the test day.

The wildcard is the engine. It started the enduro with 122K on it and we added 900+ just during the race. We're going to freshen our extra head, do a leakdown test on the current mill, replace the top end, and go race it some more.

I added the fire system and tidied the interior this fall - http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/build3.php - and have a few other details that I want to handle. I've got the new exhaust system worked out, too I think. It's a little more complex than other's situations because we are going to keep the cat so the car can be licensed - a philosophical constraint that I'm imposing on myself.

We had a DL1 data system for the enduro and it, when combined with Amy's 2:31.xx during the race, made it abundantly clear that the car is really not the weak link, speed-wise.

K

Greg Amy
12-25-2004, 11:43 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What would be considered a good rear weight percentage for an ITB rabbit?</font>

Do you mean "good" as in what others are running, or good as in what you want? If the latter, then as much as you can toss back there (leave the spare tire in if you're light). If you mean the former, most econo-based FWD cars run about 60-65% front weight bias.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">......when combined with Amy's 2:31.xx during the race...</font>

In all fairness, it was *because* of Action Digital's DL-1 that I was able to turn those times. Each one of the four drivers was strong in particular places along the track. By reviewing the data I was able to improve my lap times by full SECONDS. I'm guessing there's maybe one or two seconds left in the old girl as she sat in October, if one were to put on their sprint hat instead of the "we gotta drive this thing for 13 hours" hat.

A DL-1 will be in my car in '05, come hell or high water. - GA

JeffYoung
12-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Kirk, Greg you guys seem sold on the Dl-1. Mind if I e-mail you guys with some questions?

Sorry for the thread theft.

A 2:31 in basically a street car at VIR is pretty damn awesome.

Knestis
12-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Feel free, Jeff. I wonder how many of the cars at the 13 hours had their state inspection stickers and tabs up to date. I know of one. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K