PDA

View Full Version : Water Pumps

Campbell
11-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Boy, seem to be posting a lot. What is the difference between a 30 mm or 40 mm water pump? do they each use the same pulley? thanks

Eric Parham
11-12-2004, 06:06 PM
No, the difference IS the pulleys (30mm vs. 40mm bolt spacing circle), AFAIK. The actual o.d. of the pulleys (where the belt rides) is about the same (although this pulley is free anyway). The 40mm is the older style -83. The 30mm is the newer style 83-. There are two different bypass hose sizes on the 30mm pumps. I don't know when the changeover occured during production, but most of the replacement pumps that come with housings have a larger bypass pipe (center of the three). The hose can be stretched to fit, but I've had a hard time finding the correct one.

racer_tim
11-12-2004, 09:25 PM
While your at it, there are at least 2 different versions of the alternator, short nose and long nose. The long nose unit came from a car with A/C and the short one came from a car that didn't. There are also different amperage output between them as well. I've got soo many of them, with different pulley's and shafts, that it's hard to remember which one came from where.

I had to replace the brushes in my current unit. 1 of the leads broke off, and that's why I had problems all weekend. It would run for an entire session, until the cool off lap.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Bill Miller
11-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Tim,

The whole alternator/bracket/pulley thing is a royal PITA!!! AC cars, non-AC cars, early cars, late cars, it's a mess!!! I've seen probably 6 or 7 different alternator pulleys, over the years.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
11-13-2004, 09:06 AM
I've seen more than a few MkI and MkII Golfs in the paddock (or rally tech shed) that, if you sight down the belt assembly, have pulleys on different planes - off as much as 1/2 an inch. I don't know how in the heck they last...

K

joeg
11-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Kirk...That may explain why I always see belts on the track after running with the VW(s).

Cheers.

Campbell
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, All my pumps and housings are for the 30 mm bolt pattern so I am okay. I also have several alternators with the short and long shafts - I had hoped they could be interchanged but it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks again

Campbell
11-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Well I tried to get the water pump out of the housing and ended up twisting off half the bolt heads.. I have what is left of the shafts (maybe 1/4" high) soaking in pb blaster. Any trick to getting them out? I could use some suggestions.

Also the aluminum housing for the rear main has one of the oil pan bolt holes half stripped, is there a self tapping screw that will work? have any of you addressed this before?

Thanks

racer14itc
11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Campbell:
Well I tried to get the water pump out of the housing and ended up twisting off half the bolt heads.. I have what is left of the shafts (maybe 1/4" high) soaking in pb blaster. Any trick to getting them out? I could use some suggestions.

Also the aluminum housing for the rear main has one of the oil pan bolt holes half stripped, is there a self tapping screw that will work? have any of you addressed this before?

Thanks

Whenever I do a fresh build on a Scirocco engine, I always put in 6x1.00mm helicoils in the front and rear housings for the oil pan bolts. That way there's much less of a chance of stripping the threads out at the most inopportune time. You can get these down at your local NAPA store.

On the waterpump housing bolts, I'd suggest letting the PB Blaster work for a day or two, then heating them up with a Bernz0matic. They should come out.

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/The Shop VW
Scirocco
Zephyr Race Coaching and Consulting
http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

Campbell
11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, I soaked them and heated them to no avail. So I am going to try the extracter route, I have never had to do that before. I will let you know how it works.

Thanks

Vantage #51
11-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Having been at this a little longer than I care to admit,do yourself a favor and get a complete water pump, not just a 1/2 as you seem to have now, those bolts will never come out,and the complete housing is much easier to deal with,and not much more $.
just my .02 worth.