PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Bilstein inserts for A1

Don
10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Ok I am in need of some info on Bilstein strut inserts.

Don’t shoot me but I actually run a Honda in IT, but its so old (1974) that my last source for reasonable inserts (Carrera) dried up when QA1 bought them. Their tech guy said “you want what”. Some other people in Australia told me to weld Vw A1 front strut tubes to the first 2” of the Honda strut and my strut availability problem is gone.
So I’m going to need some Vw inserts and needed some advice as to what ones to get.
My current spring rates are 375# front and 225# rear with a sway bar. I may bump the rates by 50# but its not going to need anything more. I can’t seem to find part #’s listed anywere for the Bilstein race inserts is there a factory tech phone # to call? With the rates being so low compared to what most VW’s run in IT will the Bilstein sport inserts be OK? I did find those listed on the net. If not I would rather spend the money and get it right the first time.

Thanks for the advice

Bill Miller
10-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Don,

The Sports should work w/ those spring rates. Or, try the Group I race struts (not sure if they're still available or not). Regardless, if the 'stock' Sports don't work, just have them revalved. You can probably call Blistein (not sure if Bill Hindorf is still there or not) and ask for suggested valving for your spring rates.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Bildon
11-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Bill Hindorf is still at Bilstein and if asked they are still valving dampers specifically for road racing. Pretty reasonable at $70 shock too. Try hindorff_b(at)bilstein.com

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment
## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

Don
11-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks - Yes I called Bill this morning he was very helpful. There are a few choices that I did not know about thru Bilstein. Going to do some measuring tonight and order something tomorrow. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Don (edited November 01, 2004).]

Don
11-17-2004, 03:06 AM
The bilstein inserts arrived very nice.

[This message has been edited by Don (edited November 17, 2004).]