PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Article

Davis
10-03-2004, 06:10 PM
"European Car" Magazine published a three part article (Aug, Sept, & Nov. 2004 issues) written by Kevin Clemens titled "Race-ready Golf". I missed the Sept. issue. "European Car" says they don't have any returns. Could anyone that has the Sept. issue scan the article and e-mail a copy to me? It would be greatly appreciated.

lobster
10-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Davis, We missed you a the Buttonwillow race after your school! Where have you been? Glenn

Davis
10-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Glenn, We broke a drive flange late Saturday and couldn't get it fixed in time for Sunday. I rented an RX from 7's to run the sprints so I could finish the school. Talk about a change. After running the VW all weekend and than jumping into the RX.

I loaded up and left the track Sat. evening so I could get an early jump on the drive back to Phoenix on Sunday. I would have stayed to watch and lend a hand on Sunday, but my house was broken into and robbed the day I left for Buttonwillow. Someone obviously had watched me loading up. I felt it was best that at that stage I get home and survey the damage.

From your results it looks like the Pinto still has some life in her. Any plans to come over to Phoenix?

------------------
ITB Rabbit GTI

lobster
10-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Davis, Sorry to here about your house being broken into! I worry about that too but everyone around here watchs out for each other. Anyways sorry to here your car broke and you had to rent boy I bet that was a $$$ weekend. I dont know if we will make it to AZ or not the budget is spent for the year! So our next race should be California Speedway in late Jan early Feb. Take care and let us know when you have that "Green Machine" out again Glenn

Racerwrtr
10-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Davis:
"European Car" Magazine published a three part article (Aug, Sept, & Nov. 2004 issues) written by Kevin Clemens titled "Race-ready Golf". I missed the Sept. issue. "European Car" says they don't have any returns. Could anyone that has the Sept. issue scan the article and e-mail a copy to me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Part Four is coming, I promise, if I ever get my new motor together and into the car...

Kevin Clemens
1985 VW GTi

shwah
10-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Kevin,

Did you happen to run at the 'Firecracker' regional at Blackhawk? That was my second event, there were a number of VWs in B, but I did not recall whether you were there or not.

Anyhow - maybe we will bump into each other at an event sometime. Seems like we are both at a similar point in our racing 'careers', the only difference being that I built my 86 GTI over 5 years, rather than doing the smart thing and buying a car and racing for 4 more years....

Good luck with the motor.

Chris in Chicagoland

Davis
10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Kevin, Glad to hear there will be a part four. Back to the aim of this thread....any chance of getting a copy of part 2? E-mail? FAX? Photo Copy? Purchase of an extra copy of the Magazine?

------------------
ITB Rabbit GTI

JLawton
10-07-2004, 07:30 AM
I think a lot of us would be interested. Is there some where it could be posted? I would also be willing to pay for a copy.....

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Racerwrtr
10-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Let me see what my editor at European car can do...

kevin

Racerwrtr
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Parts 1, 2 and 3 should be on the European Car website shortly. The site is:

www.europeancarweb.com (http://www.europeancarweb.com)

It may take a few days to get the story onto the web. We will also put Part 4 up after it has run in the magazine. Or you could just subscribe...

Kevin
ITB GTi

Racerwrtr
10-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Parts 1, 2 and 3 are there now, look under "Project Cars" on the main web page.

Kevin
VW GTi

Davis
10-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Kevin, thanks much for getting this information the "European Car" web site and for the link.

I am following a similar track as you with an 84 rabbit that I purchased last Spring, only I lack your race experience. I find your articles interesting and frequently catch myself smiling and nodding my head in agreement and understanding. Part II is very informative and is appreciated. I guess it'll be off to the dyno for my rabbit to see what shape it's in and how it compares. Wish me luck.

Again thanks for the articles and thanks to "European Car" for making them available. I look forward to part 4.

JLawton
10-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Kevin,
Also my thanks for article!! Keep us up to date.

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Racerwrtr
10-19-2004, 12:56 PM
That's funny, I frequently find myself gnashing my teeth and pulling out my hair as I write about this season's less than stellar results...

Kevin
85 GTi

JLawton
10-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Kevin,
I feel for you on this one. I had a very similar experience this season. I started out my racing career by taking a street 944, doing Porsche Club Racing and then building it into an ITS car. Realizing that even if I had the money to build it to the max of the rules, it still would not be competitive, So I sold it.

Over the winter I got a great deal on an 84 GTi. First time out at a PDA event I was using for testing, I had a rear wheel come off at the axle!! (I swear, I checked the bolts!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif ) First race of the season, with one lap to go in the race I was spun and got hammered in the front bumper, bending the front frame about 14”. Next race, 2 laps into qualifying, I had a tire go flat and put the car on its side. On the third lap of the next test day, engine lost power down the front straight and all sorts of smoke was coming out the exhaust. As it turns out, there were 16v pistons in the engine and it created a “little” extra compression and melted one of the pistons http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/mad.gif. (yes, I take full responsibility for having illegal parts, but again, one of those pitfalls of not building your own: Not knowing what’s inside!!)

When we got into the engine, it was amazing the bottom end had lasted as long as it did!! I spent $5K for the car and spent another $5K on parts and an engine rebuild. When you are dealing with a 20 year old car, parts are going to fail!! As you said, there is no such thing as a race ready car for sale!!

My next car I will build myself.....

Hang in there, it can only get better!!

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi