PDA

View Full Version : What clutch?

VW16VRacer
08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
What clutch is everybody using? I have recently tryed a LUK "pre-tensioned disk" and had a really bad slip on the 6th lap of a race this weekend. After looking at the clutch it appears to be brand new with only light heat spots on the P/P and flywheel. I was expecting to see a purple PP and flywheel and a shredded disk. Much to my supprise it looked ok. The clutch did come back after I backed off the car, and lost some positions, but finished the race. I have used Sachs disk and PP with good luck and have used a rigid 4 puck disk (did not like this at all) and a factory PP and sheared the PP bolts off the crank (yes it ruined the crank but amazingly finished the race).

I am currently looking at the Spec stage 2 or 3 kevlar clutch kit with the light weight option (www.specclutch.com) but will entertain any other options if someone has one.

Jon Bonforte
#99 16V Golf
ICSCC EP/RS

racer_tim
09-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Jon, I've run the solid 4 puck disk for many years, with no problems. 16v pp and standard flywheel are fine for most IT / LP production cars.

I have heard that Chris Albin has been blowing through disks in his LP Golf, but the VW clutch is usually bullit proof.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

VW16VRacer
09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Tim

I must not be able to mach the rpm's (heal & toe) well enough to run the 4 puck. I ran the stock Sachs clutch for two and a half seasons, 24 races here in the Pacific NW, with no problems. Went to the 4 puck and got two races out if it before shearing all the P/P bolts and twisting the nose off the end of the crank (new 16V P/P, crank and F/W bolts and 4 puck), and I really tried to make it work. I talked to the Spec clutch guys today and they said they do not sell a rigid 4 or 6 puck for the VW for this same problem. They have a 6 puck sprung hub with a 170% PP that they recomend for race cars that is designed to hold 400+ ft/lbs, far more than my little 16V will ever produce.

It must be my driving style, or lack there of as some put it http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jon