PDA

View Full Version : Any A1's Out There? Sciroccos, Rabbits, etc?

il8apex
07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
No, I haven't switched camps. Still a Honda guy at heart!

I've purchased (for next to nothing) a Scirocco and it has become my favorite daily driver. I never knew how much fun the Mk1's were to drive until this!

I don't plan on putting the car in IT, but instead want to strengthen the weak spots to make a great daily driver / rallycross car. Anyone with Mk1 buildup photos they could link to for some interesting ideas? Links appreciated, or photos of builds sent to [email protected] will work.

Consider this an open invitation to make this thread the Mk1 Gallery. Thanks in advance, everyone.

-Tom

racer_tim
07-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Tom, both my ITB Scirocco (1993-1994) and ITB / GP Rabbit GTI are at the link in my signature.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Bill Miller
07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
It won't be much longer now Tom. Soon you will be fully assimilated into the VW collective!!!! Resistence if futile! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Seriously, shoot me an email, I'll be happy to share what I know, and point you where to find the go-fast bits.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

il8apex
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Bill-

I've sold my two CRX's this spring, so the Civic race car is the only Honda I have left. I also have an '03 GTI 20th Anniversary Edition, the '84 Scirocco mentioned above, and a '92 GTI that a guy from work gave me for free. It's only a matter of time...

I'm not one for "off the shelf" parts, as evidenced by my Honda. I've constructed pretty much everything, from the design of the roll cage on down to the development of the custom mounts for the upside down aluminum bodied circle track racing shocks!

I was actually thinking about using some rally developed MkII suspension and dampers, then just fabricating custom Heim-jointed pillow mounts w/ adjustable camber for the front struts. I don't plan on a full cage, but do want to add some tubes between the front strut towers and rear suspension to keep the car in one piece.

I do like build photos, though, so everyone please post links!

-Tom

67ITB
07-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Tom,
I love the cars.
I have built 3 of them in the last few (7) years 2ea 1987’s and a 1984 or 85. But I am out of town on a business trip so I don’t have any photos. But could share do’s and don’ts with you.

Congratulations on your new purchase
Matt Bal

sccaITA16v
07-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by il8apex:

I don't plan on putting the car in IT, but instead want to strengthen the weak spots to make a great daily driver / rallycross car. Anyone with Mk1 buildup photos they could link to for some interesting ideas? Links appreciated, or photos of builds sent to [email protected] will work.

Consider this an open invitation to make this thread the Mk1 Gallery. Thanks in advance, everyone.

-Tom

Hey Tom-

feel free to go to my homepage, there is a photo gallery there of my scirocco, you might need to click on "2003 website" to find pics of the roll cage.

-Larry
www.teamdriverswanted.com (http://www.teamdriverswanted.com)

[This message has been edited by sccaITA16v (edited July 29, 2004).]

p.keane
07-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Tommy Kelly at Precision Motorsports has a lot of good quality fiberglass (light weight) panels for the A1 Scirocco.
508-634-8588
PK

Tim
08-02-2004, 10:46 AM
I have a nice top strut tower brace and shine rear sway bar if your interested. Contact me at [email protected]

thanks

il8apex
08-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Okay, progress has begun...

I spoke with the guys at Shine racing last week. Eli was very helpful, and really showed a genuine interest in the "project." He recommended some guidelines based on what they offer as a street setup vs. what I wanted as ride height. It's a starting point, anyway.

PKeane- Those fiberglass fenders have got me thinking more along the lines of "pre-runner" than rallycar... Think I could tuck 33's under there? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

I ordered some heavy duty Bilsteins this week. Does anyone have any information on their revalving service? Sounds like a bargain.

If this is getting a bit too off topic, I apologize. I'll post updates in the General Discussions area. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

-Tom