PDA

View Full Version : Welding a Diff

SamITC85
07-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Whats the best way to go about welding a diff. for an A1 Rabbit. I have heard of people breaking pieces off the diff because it wasn't done right. TIA

------------------
Sam Rolfe
TBR Motorsports
#85 ITC VW Rabbit
#85 GP Scirocco

racer_tim
07-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Sam, I've got a locked 4 speed with a 3.76 R&P if you want it. It's my 2nd spare.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

OTLimit
07-16-2004, 11:33 AM
A bad welding job is worse than an open diff; you will destroy it. Seen it happen.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

dave parker
07-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Sam
When we make our welded diffs we do the following:
after fully cleaning the diff
weld the spider gears together,in the corners of each meeting of spider gears. then make two plates that would fit down in the open space on either side of the diff. weld the plates, one to each side of the open space on either side of the diff.
Viola! you have a welded spider gear differential. I have had one that has lasted 5 12hour and 3 24hour races with no problems. I have another made this way that is in a car that is now on its second logbook. I am sure this method will work for you.
dave parker
wdcr itc#97

Dick Elliott
07-16-2004, 07:31 PM
In the Steve Smith how to book (How to build a mini stock pinto)he shows that the best way is to fill (weld) the area between two (2) teeth with brazeing. Then rotate the gear and do the same thing 180 degs from the first place. Do both the gears this way. Brass is used because the book says that arc or mig place too much heat into the gears and will cause failure. I have done several cars this way with nary a failure to date. It can be done on old gears but much easyer on new gears.

Mark LaBarre
07-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Dick Elliott:
... Brass is used because the book says that arc or mig place too much heat into the gears and will cause failure. ....

I'm not saying this won't work, but the amount of heat put into the differential by brazing is considerably more than MIG. The MIG is much more concentrated too, which may be an issue, but I've done the weld the gears and plates method and it works great.