PDA

View Full Version : coilover choice

mtgmanracing
05-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Im just about to plop down the 1200 or so dollars for a set of coilovers and cannot decide between the H&R, Koni and Bilstein PSS9s.

Is there any real differences or will I be happy with any of those choices?

Help, opinions are welcome...thanks

Bill

mtgmanracing
05-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by mtgmanracing:
Im just about to plop down the 1200 or so dollars for a set of coilovers and cannot decide between the H&R, Koni and Bilstein PSS9s.

Is there any real differences or will I be happy with any of those choices?

Help, opinions are welcome...thanks

Bill

Oh yeah, lastly, are these kits generally what is used? Is there a cheaper way out...I was a dummy and didnt really ask about suspension when I was at LRP last week and I have decided to go ahead and run up the credit card so i can race instead of dream!

racer_tim
05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
It's not the coil-overs that are the real question, it's the shocks/struts. Single adjustable, double adjustable, etc determine the cost and the amount of adjustability. Also, the spring rates depending upon your driving style, and what kind of front diff you have.

I already had a set of Bilstein Sports, so it was a no-brainer when I converted then to coil-overs with the Ground Control kit.

Shocks can give you a wonderful advantage, but like it's been stated here and on other sites, if you don't know what your doing with them, they can set you "BACK" not "forward".

KISS first, and after you learn the car, and what the adjustments can do, then starting tweaking with them 1 at a time. Benchmark and testing are the only way to determine if the changes your making are in the right direction.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited May 11, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
The coil overs shouldn't cost more than 400-500 for the best springs and best built sleeves and perches. The additional costs come from what you choose for shocks/struts.

PS: Some of us here would be glad to help you, but might not want to advertize our helping in online forums. Post your e-mail address (get a free excite account or something if you don't want to give away your everyday one) so you can get additional help.

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited May 11, 2004).]

mtgmanracing
05-11-2004, 07:05 PM
thanks

my email address is:
[email protected]

everything you send will go into a spam folder, but i can dig out the real stuff, or you can send a request, but I dont expect that since youre doing me a favor...i can look for it!!

The whole thing confuses me as to whether to buy a complete kit or piecemeal it...i dont want to build the car 3 times (like I used to do with stereo components when i was an installer).

Tim
05-11-2004, 10:58 PM
I was very happy when I plunked my dollars down at Dick Shines, got all the right parts and info to set the car up right, better then that was the service and enthusiasm I recieved from the whole Shine crew.

no I don't work for them

good luck

SamITC85
05-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I am going to agree with Tim on this one. Your money is best spent at Shine www.srsvw.com (http://www.srsvw.com) They are one stop shopping for VW's and one thing you can't beat is their customer service at the track. They are always willing to help out no matter what, but especially if you bring Dick some DD and coffee. They sell the bilsteins and coil over kits as well as anything else you will need.

VW16VRacer
05-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Bill

I would look at BSI's set up before a decision is made. Stu's set up offers more adjustability than the Bilsteins and the service after the sale is always the best, that alone should make it worth it.

VW16VRacer
05-12-2004, 09:52 PM
WWW.BSIRACING.COM (http://WWW.BSIRACING.COM)