PDA

View Full Version : A1 GTI Competitive?

anthony1k
03-12-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm looking into possibly buying an ITB '84 GTI. I realize that the level of preparation is very important but generally speaking, is this model competitive in this class? I appreciate any input offered.
Anthony

lobster
03-12-2004, 02:01 AM
1k, We raced a ITB Rabbit 1981 it was a good car cheap to run and very forgiving. I feel it is on of the best starter cars. Make sure it has a really stout cage keeps those buggers straight and in better alignment Later Lobster

Bill Miller
03-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Anthony,

While the Rabbit GTI is still a popular car in ITB (I used to race one myself), and there are a couple around the country that do ok, it is generally accepted (even among the VW crowd) that it is not the 'best' of the VW platforms for ITB. Primarily, because it is saddled w/ extra weight.

As was stated, they're great starter cars. They're a well known quantity, and there are plenty of parts available. They're also pretty inexpensive to run. The one thing you really need to watch are the front hubs. The axle nuts must be TIGHT. Even still, look at changing them out ever 4-5 weekends. The other thing you're going to want to consider is a fuel cell. Rabbits have a known issue w/ the fuel pickup in the tank. Mine, and several others that I know of, have 'hicup' problems in hard r/h turns if the car is less than half a tank of fuel.

Good luck!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

scirock5
04-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Interested in this one? Mechanically, the SciroccoII is a Rabbit GTi with lower CG and better aero.
For Sale: ITB 1985 Scirocco.
Rust free Florida car. 3 races on brand new over-bored 1.8l motor. Techtonics exhaust. Rebuilt transmission with 3.9 fd. Shine coil-overs with tokicos. Shine lower stress bar. Custom welded cage. Tons of new parts. Transponder installed. Car is fast, durable and ready. $4,800
Call Tim, (716)838-7093, [email protected]

racer14itc
04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by scirock5:
Interested in this one? Mechanically, the SciroccoII is a Rabbit GTi with lower CG and better aero.
For Sale: ITB 1985 Scirocco.
Rust free Florida car. 3 races on brand new over-bored 1.8l motor. Techtonics exhaust. Rebuilt transmission with 3.9 fd. Shine coil-overs with tokicos. Shine lower stress bar. Custom welded cage. Tons of new parts. Transponder installed. Car is fast, durable and ready. $4,800
Call Tim, (716)838-7093, [email protected]

If anyone is interested in eventually moving to production, I think this is now one of the cars to have in GProduction. The comp board recently reduced the minimum weight of this car in GProduction to 1965 lbs. Same weight as the GP Golf (with which Chris Albin finished 6th at the Runoffs last year BEFORE a 100 lb weight reduction) but 0.5 point more compression than the Golf, a lower CG, and better aero. ..

If I didn't already have a GP VW Scirocco, I'd be thinking very seriously about snagging an ex-ITB 1.8 Scirocco to go production racing. They're cheap now since no one thinks they can be competitive in ITB (rightfully so) but once people start racing them in GP the prices will go up.

The Rabbit GTI will also make a good GP car, since it also has the exact same specs as the 1.8 Scirocco, just not quite as good aero and higher CG.

Just my thoughts,

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/The Shop VW
Scirocco
Zephyr Race Coaching and Consulting
http://pages.prodigy.net/scirocco14gp

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited April 09, 2004).]

Bill Miller
04-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Mark makes a good point about the Scirocco in GProd. As far as an ITB car, compared to a Rabbit GTI, it's limited to 13" wheels, and carrys an extra 90#. 14x6 wheels are _much_ more available than 13x6 wheels, and for considerably less money.

------------------
SCCA 279608

theenico
04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
The ITB Scirocco got 14" wheels in '02, and I'm with Mark and think the '83-'87 1.8 8V would make a great GP car.

Guess I'll have to keep my '83 Scirocco ITB car http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Nico
KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by theenico (edited April 10, 2004).]

madrabbit15
04-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Mark,

Didnt the weight drop from 2165 to 2065? I was not aware that it dropped again to 1965, when did that happen? I guess I need to think about keeping my scirocco.

Derek

racer14itc
04-10-2004, 11:43 PM
[quote]Originally posted by madrabbit15:
[B]Mark,

Didnt the weight drop from 2165 to 2065? I was not aware that it dropped again to 1965, when did that happen? I guess I need to think about keeping my scirocco.

Derek,

The weight dropped to 2065 lbs sometime last year. This month's (May) fastrack reduced the weight of all the 1.8 limited prep VW's in GP to 1965 lbs. So, yes keep that Scirocco and turn it into a GP car. Unless you want to sell it to me CHEAP!!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
Scirocco
http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited April 10, 2004).]

madrabbit15
04-11-2004, 10:35 AM
guess i need to keep it now, know of a good source of some 13x7 wheels? I have a bunch of 13 x 6 wheels if you know of anyone interested.

Derek

Bill Miller
04-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Derek,

Email me at [email protected] regarding those 13x6 wheels

------------------
SCCA 279608

racer14itc
04-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by madrabbit15:
guess i need to keep it now, know of a good source of some 13x7 wheels? I have a bunch of 13 x 6 wheels if you know of anyone interested.

Derek

Derek, you don't HAVE to run 13x7 wheels in GP, although they might let the tires work a little better or let you run 20x9.5x13 tires if you wanted. I say keep your 13x6 wheels, mount up some 20x8x13's and have at it. At 1965 lbs, you won't overwork a set of R55 slicks.

We'd be happy to have another GP VW in the camp!!

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
Scirocco
http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

racer_tim
04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Derek, Marc is right. Right now, I run 13x6 on all 4 corners, but use the 20x8x13 (Hoosier or Goodyear) in the fronts and 20x7x13 (Avon's) in the rear.

I do have a set of diamond 13x7's that I might run in the front, with 20x9.5x13 (Hoosier or Goodyear) but then I need to flare the fronts, and I might have to play with more / less spacers to get the track legal.

With just the VW's in Limited Prep, I would choose a 1.6 Scirocco for HP, 1.6 VW Convertible, or a 1.8 Golf for GP. Those would be my first choices, but since I already had an A1 ITB Rabbit GTI, it was an easy choice. I do have a VW Convertible that is available to build, and I also have a 75 VW Scirocco that was in ITC car, but needs some upgrading, and to put back on a legal small valve head. I have the head, but since I'm not working I don't want to "tease" myself into finishing the car.

The rocco also has a Quaife in it. That's the ONLY reason I got this car.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

John McFarland
04-15-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm doing just that. My ITB Scirocco was absolutely outclassed. But now I know I can build a car that can be competative in G Prod. Only wish it was ready to go, still have a ton of work to do on it.

Hey Tim, if you want work, come and help me finish it! Oh, and bring that quaifed transmisssion with you. I could use that!

I say convert the car!!!