PDA

View Full Version : Camber, Caster, and Toe?

1990whiteg60
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I have an 84 GTi set up for ITB, and I am runing Kumho Victo V700s. I was wondering what some of you are runing for front and rear camber especially. What is the best way to adjust the rear camber? Thanks. Shawn

Eric Parham
03-23-2004, 12:04 PM
SRS (Shine) sells machined rear camber shims with bolt holes. Camber should be set using a pyrometer and/or tire wear indications. A good starting point, depending on your track, might be about 3.0-3.5 deg neg in front and 1.5-2.0 deg neg in rear. rear toe should be kept at/near zero. Front toe can be slightly out (1/8-1/4") if you have A-arm bearings, but should to be closer to zero if you don't.

1990whiteg60
03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I forgot to mention that this is going to be for the double school and regional at NHIS that I am trying to set up for.

racer_tim
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Eric is right, use a pyrometer to verify what settings you have and his suggestions are right on.

For the school, don't worry too much about it, just make sure that the car lasts the entire event. Remember your aim is to get your license, learn the flags, line, etc.

Good luck

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

JLawton
03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Shawn,
I just purchased an 84 GTi from Precision Motorsports in MA. He had run it for about 2 years and suggested for NHIS, 3 1/2 on right front and 2 1/2 left front.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it for the school, you'll have these big GT1 cars holding you up in 1 and 2 anyhow!!

Good luck!! If you're there on that Sunday, stop in.

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

RSTPerformance
03-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Don't run new tires... you are likely going to "lock up" the wheels once. Find some old hard as a rock tires to learn on. You wont need to worry about car set-up and will be able to worry about learing (or proving) that you can drive SAFE. Thats what the instructors are looking for.

Raymond Blethen
RST performance Raicng
ITB Audi #51, Looking forward to racing with you, if you need anything at all please stop over...

1990whiteg60
03-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am also racing on sunday, that's why I am concerned with setup. Any more suggestions that you have i would appreciate.

RSTPerformance
03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
More advice.... On Sunday during the race look out for the ITS front runners.. They are fast and will be lapping you and everyone else in ITB. Stay predictable and do a point buy, they are great drivers and will pass safely and courtesy... They probably wont even interfere with your race. They have the capability to pass you on straights, braking zones and coming out of turns. They generally wait for that point buy.

Bring crew for tire pressures and temperatures... best data ever in our type of racing. I like to run the cool down lap at a brisk pace, as the tires will cool quickly.

Good Luck in the school;

Raymond

Bill Miller
03-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Eric Parham:
SRS (Shine) sells machined rear camber shims with bolt holes. Camber should be set using a pyrometer and/or tire wear indications. A good starting point, depending on your track, might be about 3.0-3.5 deg neg in front and 1.5-2.0 deg neg in rear. rear toe should be kept at/near zero. Front toe can be slightly out (1/8-1/4") if you have A-arm bearings, but should to be closer to zero if you don't.

I used to race an ITB A1 GTI, and 1/4" of front toe out is a ton! I ran 0 to 1/16 of toe out on the front of the car, and 1/16" toe in on the rear. Car handled well, and had very nice straight-line manners. With a 1/4" of front toe out, the car will be VERY darty!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608