PDA

View Full Version : Choice for Camber Gauge

BEMorton
03-02-2004, 11:59 PM
I am shopping around for a camber gauge, and was wondering if there were any suggestions on what works best on an A1. The three choices I have narrowed down to are:

Standard Longacre or Intercomp Camber Gauge (do I need just the magnetic adaptor?)

SmartTool Digital Gauge (very nice, but pricey)

Fastrax Rim-Type system

Thanks for any input

Barry Morton

JohnRW
03-03-2004, 12:48 AM
The $30-40 bubble-type gauge (available from many suppliers) is more than adequate for DOT tires.

Your tires (if you're running DOT race rubber) can't feel the difference between anything smaller than a quarter degree of camber. Don't waste your time trying to get any more accurate than that, or your tires will just be laughing at you (and they're just the first row of the audience...)

JIgou
03-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Although not on a VW, I have the RPW9500 pictured at the top of this page: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/align.htm

Friend of mine had his car aligned on a digital rack last week. I came up with about -1.75 on two wheels on his car; we then looked at the printout: -1.8.

Close enough for me!

Jarrod

machschnell
03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I have the one just mentioned as well, though it was given to me. After adjusting it to make sure it was setup properly, I find it's easy to use and accurate if you use it properly. I guess the biggest problem is finding perfectly level ground to check it on. I have found a spot in my driveway that I've found to be level, and I just use that spot when I check camber.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Bildon
03-03-2004, 12:43 PM
1x1 peices of plywood with a long carpenters level will fix any garage floor.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment
## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

Team Rocket
03-03-2004, 09:57 PM
I have the Fastrax model and find it amazingly easy to use and quite accurate. But that RPW model looks like the right price though! I would have to see them side by side to see if the Fastrax is worth the additional $100.

Jim