PDA

View Full Version : Dragging clutch

tschwenke
12-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Rabbit question (don't think it is much different than a golf, but here it goes)...

A local guy here has a drag rabbit. He replaced the clutch and now it is hard to get the car in reverse or first. To me it sounds like a dragging clutch. He used SACHS parts, 16V PP with 8V cluch disk in a 4K. Any tollerance stackup that can cause it?

I seem to recall something similar being posted before, but can't find it in a search.

Thanks

VW16VRacer
12-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Is the pushrod for the clutch in good shape. I have seen some that were beat up pretty bad. If there was ever a problem with the clutch and the end of the pushrod got chewed up then the length is not correct and the clutch will not release completly. Part # for the pushrod is 020-141-741-B Also does the car shift into other gears ok? If the trans slips into 2nd-5th ok then I would check the shift linkage for proper adjustment. Will the trans shift into 1st and R with the engine off? If it does then there is something wrong with the clutch, if not then shift linkage or internal transmission problems. 1st gear slider and shift fork is completly different than the reverse gear and shift fork. The adjustment procedure is outlined in detail in the Bently shop manual. The combo you listed is not a problem in the 020 transmission, as long as the clutch was installed correctly.

Jon Bonforte
German Performance Systems
Portland Oregon

racer_tim
12-29-2003, 01:39 PM
tschwenke, have him check the alignment of the shifter. I believe that it's 3/16" gap between the "rail" and the plastic slider. This is on the bottom end of the actual shifter.

Also make sure that the shift rods are not bent. I had that problem a few years ago. I bent one of the rods during removal/installation of the tranny. Did he re-bushing all of the parts before re-installation?

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Bill Miller
12-29-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm w/ Tim on this one. The 16v PP and 8v disc is a pretty standard setup. If it's only 1st and Rev. I'm betting something got tweaked in the linkage when he dropped the tranny to do the clutch job.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608