PDA

View Full Version : Jettas vs. Golfs/GTi's

Jiveslug
12-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Hey all. I was wondering what the difference is between the Jetta (85-91) for ITB and the Golf/GTi of the same year. I dont see too many Jettas racing and Im wondering if that is because of a performance disadvantage. Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Jive

Bill Miller
12-08-2003, 09:18 PM
It's this crazy little thing called weight! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Jiveslug
12-08-2003, 09:35 PM
I thought I saw in another post that the weight was 2280, like the Golf.....

Knestis
12-08-2003, 11:48 PM
The ITCS spec weight is the same but the question might be whether or not you can legally get a Jetta down to 2280. I don't actually know...

K

theenico
12-09-2003, 09:42 AM
I think you (the driver) would have to be under 180" and even then it might be tough with a 4 door. If you could find one of the elusive 2 doors though... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Nico
KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
[email protected]

Bill Miller
12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Was it dropped from 2330# to 2280# this year? My '02 GCR says 2330#.

------------------
SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited December 09, 2003).]

Knestis
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't know if/when it changed but they are both the same...

K

Bill Miller
12-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Can anyone cite the FasTrack reference where the weight was changed, including the justification? Was that when they also corrected the compression ratio to 10:1 (since the GLI is included on the same spec line)? Is this another case of a comp. adjustment disguised as "we corrected the weight"?

As most of you guys know, I tend to watch the weight changes on IT cars, especially VWs. I don't recall seeing this adjustment. But then again, I've been known to suffer from CRS syndrome from time to time.

------------------
SCCA 279608

Knestis
12-10-2003, 08:59 AM
It might also be a case of a typo that becomes law...

K

Bill Miller
12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
It might also be a case of a typo that becomes law...

K

Thought about that one too!

/edit/ Would make for some interesting discussions should someone be found to be between 2280# and 2330#. I can see someone pulling out an '02 GCR and someone else pulling out an '03 GCR. Clearly the car would be legal per the '03 GCR, but I think the person w/ the '02 GCR could make a strong case that an illegal comp. adjustment had been made. But that's just me.

Oh Darin, since you're gathering all that info for the A3 Golf, how about checking on this one as well?

------------------
SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited December 10, 2003).]

Eric Parham
12-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Interesting. The Golf and Jetta IIs are both pretty common, while the Jetta III is much more common than the Golf III (I think I read 4:1, or something like that). I wonder what the chances are of getting the Jetta III weight "corrected" to the Golf III weight? :-)

shwah
12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Eric Parham:
Interesting. The Golf and Jetta IIs are both pretty common, while the Jetta III is much more common than the Golf III (I think I read 4:1, or something like that). I wonder what the chances are of getting the Jetta III weight "corrected" to the Golf III weight? :-)

Boy good luck getting the Jetta 3 to that weight. At least there are 2 door A2 Jetta's, but the A3 cars all have 4 heavy doors, and a big trunk hanging off the back. Doesn't seem likely to me.

Chris

Eric Parham
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Actually, I've spoken with people who ran the Speedvision World Challenge series in Jetta 3 VR6s, and they agree that it really only weighs 20-30 lbs more than a Golf 3. That's *with* all the Jetta-specific stuff (doors, glass, trunk, etc.), FWIW. The Golf glass actually weighs more due to the larger (and possibly thicker) rear window. When I mentioned 2350 for the 4-cyl in ITB, the best source said "no problem" for the Golf *and* Jetta 3 (and that's after re-reading the rules).

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited December 11, 2003).]

Bob Burns
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Eric Parham:
Actually, I've spoken with people who ran the Speedvision World Challenge series in Jetta 3 VR6s, and they agree that it really only weighs 20-30 lbs more than a Golf 3...When I mentioned 2350 for the 4-cyl in ITB, the best source said "no problem" for the Golf *and* Jetta 3 (and that's after re-reading the rules).

Interesting. I've often thought that the Jetta might have a bit of an advantage if you really stretched the fuel cell placement rule. You might be able to move the cell far enough rearward to counteract the excess weight on the front.

What model of J3 matches the equipment on the G3 Sport or GTI (4-cyl)? I'm specifically thinking of the rear disc brakes. Not that they are necessary...I just find them easier to work on.

Bob...

Bildon
12-11-2003, 11:11 PM
The Jettas with their trunks and lip spoilers theoretically have better Aerodynamics and better weight balance than the Golfs.

I think I actually have some data to prove this somewhere. If the SCCA didn't class the Jettas with the weight penalty I'd think it was the right choice.

http://www.vfsvideos.co.uk/scoupe1.jpg

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment
## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

Eric Parham
12-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Bob Burns:
[quote]
What model of J3 matches the equipment on the G3 Sport or GTI (4-cyl)? I'm specifically thinking of the rear disc brakes. Not that they are necessary...I just find them easier to work on.

Not sure about sport/GTI equivalents, but it is a fact that the first batch of '93s imported to the US (Golfs and Jettas) *all* had rear disk brakes (I know because I was in the market at the time and checked many of them out). By '94, most were coming through with drums.

shwah
12-16-2003, 12:55 PM
There was a Jetta GT that had rear disks. Don't know what years they were.

Chris