PDA

View Full Version : Is there any GTI's in SSB?

Rabbit05
12-04-2003, 10:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone has done a 97-99 GTI VR6 for SSB? Are they competitive or they just to big to compete? I have been pondering the idea of doing one. Plus it would eliminate trailer and tow vehicle.(hopefully) I haven t seen one any anywhere , has anyone seen one or is it like trying to track down a bigfoot?.....John

Greg Amy
12-04-2003, 11:43 PM
John, did you know that the class is currently dominated by Mazda Miatas, soon to be dominated by the new BMW Z4? I'm sure you can have a blast driving in SSB, as long as you realize the GTi will probably not be competitive nationally. - GA

Bob Burns
12-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Jody Lift won SSB at the Runoffs in a VW GTI VR6 (A3 model, don't know the year) a few years ago, but he lost the win in the Tech Shed.

Heavy front-wheel drive cars, no matter how much horsepower, don't seem to have what it takes against the current generation Mazda Miata which is dominating SSB. This year's Runoffs SSB race was lead for a while by a '99 Acura Integra, but he was pounded on by the Miatas and ended up off course. There were a couple of late-model Honda Preludes entered. One finished 4th after the post-race penalties were handed out.

As for driving the race car to the track...Just recognize that you risk having your ride home from the track rolled into a little ball. Forcing yourself to load tires, tools, whatever spare parts or supplies you choose to take, driver's gear, and a change of clothes into the race car may be an exercise in frustration. And if it rains at the track, you'll be forced to sit in your race car while your stuff gets wet unless you load it all back into the car. Don't forget that the mandatory roll cage will limit your in-car storage options somewhat. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be aware of the limitations.

Bob...

tschwenke
12-05-2003, 10:56 AM
SSB was a good race in the runoffs, don't think the VW has it though. I was upset that the one Miata wasn't pulled in mid race for the driving tactics vs. the integra. At any level of racing you should know what corners you are faster than the other guy in, the hard thing is finding how to use it to your advantage. The hit and run method displayed was pretty poor. That deserved way more than the penatly that was handed out.

Rabbit05
12-05-2003, 06:12 PM
What are the chances of getting the comp. board to lop off about 200lbs. Do you think that would fly??? Is the suspension allowed for the GTI a factory setup or after market? I know the miatas are quick but i was hoping to build a mazda eater. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Also whats up with the Z4's, why are they that much faster than everything else, i read all about the Runoff fiasco. Are they going to reclass them or add weight or nothing?...John

Fastfred92
12-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I am building a 97 VR6 for SSB right now ( for 2004 ). I know it will not have a chance in a national but hope for a decent regional car. BTW I found a factory no sunroof car to build. I wish it weighed less in IT but I will start it in SSB until comp adjustments hit ITS

[This message has been edited by Fastfred92 (edited December 08, 2003).]

Blix
12-09-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit05:
What are the chances of getting the comp. board to lop off about 200lbs. Do you think that would fly??? Is the suspension allowed for the GTI a factory setup or after market? I know the miatas are quick but i was hoping to build a mazda eater. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Also whats up with the Z4's, why are they that much faster than everything else, i read all about the Runoff fiasco. Are they going to reclass them or add weight or nothing?...John

Zero based on the amount of money that Mazdaspeed has put into SCCA racing vs the amount that VW has. The weight for the Z4 was just adjusted in the last Fastrack...is that a significant increase? I can't find the comparison.

Eric
NER SM #02

Rabbit05
12-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey Fred,
Do you have pics of the car. I would love to see the beast. I think it would be cool to build one , although i am having trouble locating one in the Albany NY area. What kind of mods can you do besides the little exerpt in the GCR can you do. Have fun Building.....John

racer_tim
12-12-2003, 07:28 PM
My $0.02 worth, is that the Z4 should be in T2 not SSB.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html