PDA

View Full Version : flywheel and clutch questions

moliver
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey guys:

Do you guys have your flywheels cut at every clutch replacement?

Any Chicago guys know of a good place to have one cut if needed?

Thanks
Mike

Eric Parham
12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by moliver:
Do you guys have your flywheels cut at every clutch replacement?

Nope, usually just some emory cloth or fine sandpaper and brake cleaner, unless it's badly grooved or warped (in which case I prefer replacement). Note that two identical depth cuts are required to preserve clutch throw (there's a surface to surface dimension to be maintained), and many non-motorcycle machine shops don't realize it the first time around...

Bill Miller
12-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Eric's right, you have to maintain the relationship between the friction surface that the pressure plate mounting surface. I swapped a tranny in and out of my HP Rabbit way more times than I should have had to because the p/o had an incorrectly cut flywheel.

If there's any irregularities (minor), I use a 'cookie tool' in a right-angle die grinder.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

machschnell
12-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Is it necessarily a bad idea to not replace the clutch when you replace the flywheel with a new one?

PJ

shwah
12-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Apex Machine in Bensenville is a great place to get automotive machine work done. They have experience with VW stuff to boot.

Don't have the number handy now, but it is about a half block South of Green Street, a little West of the junk yard.

I say do it while you have it apart.

Chris

moliver
12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Bill at Apex is working on my engine as we speak!!

He had some bad news for me today....engine needs oversized pistons. Trans oil is sparkly like the fourth of July. Car is costing some money again!

Got a line on 83mm pistons for a 9A block? 1st oversize.

Mike

[This message has been edited by moliver (edited December 08, 2003).]